CZ 455 Varmint Ammo Recommendation

I've almost exclusively been using the Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match 40 gr in mine for the past several years, incredibly accurate, will print dime-sized 10 shot groups at 50 yards all day long. Used it on a few raccoons and opossums, countless ground squirrels, and for plinking; but now I'm down to the last few hundred rounds of my stockpile and according to Federal's website they've discontinued this ammunition. What else is everyone using in theirs with similar performance? I've read about great results with Lapua Midas + and Center-X, Eley Tenex, Wolf Match; and several others have also highly regarded the Federal AutoMatch Targets.

Thanks for reading and your input!
My cz455 likes Lapua polar biathlon!! Five shots at 50 yards
46F4407C-F788-42F2-989C-10BB16DF6AD6.jpeg

Last edited:
I have 2 cz457 match rifles one has 16" barrel in an MDT Chassis and the other 20" in the wood stock. The shorter barrel was way more picky on ammo than the 20" and with only a couple exceptions, they don't agree which is the best match ammo. I installed a Erik Cortina turner on the 16" which helped even things out between the two guns. for my guns The Lapua Center-X comes out on top and there are several SK and Eley loads that will shoot outstanding. SK RIFLE match and SK Long Range, ELEY Match (black box), Eley Semi auto, even the 42grain Eley Force shot well from my 20" barrel. My NRL22 pals are killing me with Eley TENEX but it won't shoot well from my guns. i got a 325 rnd box of federal semi auto match to try today. I only shot a mag or 2 but they shot very well and they are way cheaper than the others I'be tried. Get a couple boxes of each and shoot them Every gun is different.

I've found CCI standard is more or less on par with Gold Medal. It's cheap and widely available. At 50 it does well, and is my go to ammo for hunting and shooting in revolvers. If you're interested in stretching your shooting past 100yd to 400+ yards I have a lot more to say about ammo, but if you're looking for decent groups at 50yd most non- bulk ammo will treat you well.