CVA Ramrod Mod

Tiny Tim

Not sure anyone has an issue with this. I love the contoured rubber ramrod cap but its useless for a quick reload. You either have to remove it or put a bullet starter on the other end of the ramrod. I turned down a replacement starter to the same diameter as the rod. Then I drilled and tapped the mounting hole as much deeper as the starter length. Then I cut that much off and installed the modified starter. This keeps the overall rod length same as original. If this is not done, the rubber cap could rotate into the bore line.

Attachments

• 20201204_085754.jpg
    20201204_085754.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 177
  • 20201204_085822.jpg
    20201204_085822.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 153
Good idea of you have a lathe. I've always hated that you jave to pull the rod out, screw in a bullet "jag" then you can load-- not very quick for a reload

Last edited:
Good idea of you have a lathe. I've always hated that you jave to pull the rod out, screw in a bullet "jag" then you can load-- not very quick for a reload
I have access to a lathe so it looks professional. A person could do it with a drill motor and belt sander or even a file. If I couldn't have done something like this, I would've gotten rid of the rubber cap.

Are you guys using sabots? Not legal here in idaho, but ive been able to seat any bullet with just the end of the rod. While i do like the palm protector, it has been shot before causing a miss and losing my ramrod into a river. Cva was great about sending parts. Good thing we run 2 matching muzzeloaders. Was able to smack a buck out of the crazy ordeal. Which meant swimming the river in nov. Brrrrrr

Are you guys using sabots? Not legal here in idaho, but ive been able to seat any bullet with just the end of the rod. While i do like the palm protector, it has been shot before causing a miss and losing my ramrod into a river. Cva was great about sending parts. Good thing we run 2 matching muzzeloaders. Was able to smack a buck out of the crazy ordeal. Which meant swimming the river in nov. Brrrrrr
Yes, I'm using the TEZ 250 gr. Tried the TMZ, tighter sabot, but not as accurate. Haven't had time to fully test, but I'm going to try power belts and the Thor bullets. I'll shoot what's most accurate and field friendly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.