CVA Question

hugetacticles

I recently purchased a CVA wolf with a stainless barrel. I realize that it's probably one of the lowest end muzzle loaders out there. My question is I seem to be developing a rust inside the barrel fairly quickly. Here is my process, maybe someone can guide me in the right direction or maybe its just because its an entry level gun.

I clean between every shot. I just Thompson center pre-saturated patches and run two patches on both sides. Then I take a dry patch and also run that through on both sides.

I am shooting hogdon 777 pellets and using hornady 300 grain sabots.

I have read mixed reviews on using products like bore butter or anything oil based to prevent rust. I called CVA and they told me that I had to clean after every range session/hunt and oil the inside of the barrel each time. I guess i can do that but I have friends and family that are able to leave their guns loaded for a weekend if they are hunting and they don't have this issue. Am I stuck having to either fire my gun or remove the powder and projectile and clean and oil my gun every single time I take it out?

A lot depends on humidity, my muzzleloader in Kentucky would rust in 24 hours if I did not clean it. Here in Alaska the air is super dry can let it go a few weeks. Best rule of thumb with black powder is clean it like you won't need it for 6 months. I use bore butter on my barrel, I have for years especially in more humid climates . Hope this helps

A lot depends on humidity, my muzzleloader in Kentucky would rust in 24 hours if I did not clean it. Here in Alaska the air is super dry can let it go a few weeks. Best rule of thumb with black powder is clean it like you won't need it for 6 months. I use bore butter on my barrel, I have for years especially in more humid climates . Hope this helps
Awesome, thanks for the info. Do you use pretreated patches or put it on a patch yourself?

How do you guys use bore butter? Is it something you clean out each time you shoot? Or do you apply a light coat and leave it in when you shoot?

How do you guys use bore butter? Is it something you clean out each time you shoot? Or do you apply a light coat and leave it in when you shoot?
Clean barrel thoroughly then put Bore Butter on a patch and run it through your barrel, coating the entire inside of the barrel when putting it up after shooting. When taking your ML out to shoot again run a clean patch through to get the excess Bore Butter out.

You should not need to clean after every round, maybe five or so, depending on your barrel and bullets. Just bring some 91% alcohol and swab it out and run an oil patch when you are done for the day. Dry patch before next loading. Remember, leaving your muzzleloader loaded is no different than leaving your powder or pellets open, they are susceptible to the environment.

I shoot blackhorn 209 out of a cva optima. Before shooting, I fire 2 primers on an empty barrel to get rid of any oil left over. Cleaning is easy and simple, hoppes #9 till they come out clean, soak the breech plug in the same and use a scotch brite to clean the inside of the plug out, qtips on the firing side, welders file for cleaning the hole out, dry and that's done. Bore gets a light coat of ballistol. I typically don't shoot more than 8 shots at a time, bullet of choice is a federal bore lock 350 grain for elk. Never have issues following this regime

I recently purchased a CVA wolf with a stainless barrel. I realize that it's probably one of the lowest end muzzle loaders out there. My question is I seem to be developing a rust inside the barrel fairly quickly. Here is my process, maybe someone can guide me in the right direction or maybe its just because its an entry level gun.

I clean between every shot. I just Thompson center pre-saturated patches and run two patches on both sides. Then I take a dry patch and also run that through on both sides.

I am shooting hogdon 777 pellets and using hornady 300 grain sabots.

I have read mixed reviews on using products like bore butter or anything oil based to prevent rust. I called CVA and they told me that I had to clean after every range session/hunt and oil the inside of the barrel each time. I guess i can do that but I have friends and family that are able to leave their guns loaded for a weekend if they are hunting and they don't have this issue. Am I stuck having to either fire my gun or remove the powder and projectile and clean and oil my gun every single time I take it out?
I bought the exact same rifle used, on a whim. I must say that at 100 yards it is a laser! (Until the barrel gets dirty - usually after 3 shots)
I have experienced no rust.
I usually shoot my 3 - 4 rounds then later clean the rifle simply using a patch soaked in Hoppes, a wire brush soaked in Hoppes, a second soaked patch, then dry & clean patches until they come out clean & dry, (usually 3 - 4 patches). I then run an oil-soaked patch back & forth once & quit. It's worked great for me so far. Good luck.

Butch's (think BoreShine) makes a cleaning solvent for black powder that works good. I don't shoot muzzle loader much anymore, nor do I use anything except real black powder, but I shoot a lot of BPCR. I "wipe" after every shot (some people use a blow tube) to keep the fouling soft, wet patch followed by dry patch.. My mixture for my wiping solution is water soluble machining oil cut with water and in the summertime some anti-freeze. I clean after the match with Butch's and finish with Kroil. Then I run a patch of bore butter through. I keep a can of Ballistol handy. I will run a dry patch through the barrel before the match. I also coat my bullet with a light coating of bore butter before inserting the cartridge into the rifle. Now I know this is in a different ballpark, but the concepts are the same, just don't know how applicable it is to subsitute.
When I was shooting muzzle loader for hunting, that evening when I took my shower, the rifle barrel went in with me. A good soapy/hot water cleaning never hurt. Just be sure to dry thoroughly, oil the outside and bore butter the inside. I shot both a Hawken type rifle and a CVA inline back in the day. I used both loose and pellet substitute powder. Both took out a lot of Midwest whitetails.
Bore butter = good stuff!
This information comes from a crazy old coot