CVA Paramount Variflame Leak ?

Wedgy

The breech plug face where the variflame adapter mates to it has what looks like a gouge in it where it seems gas is leaking(??) and the veriflame adapters are getting hard to remove. I clean the gun and plug after every use so it is not corrosion. I shoot it with BH209 and am happy with the gun and its accuracy.
I have searched and read quite a bit about a leak but could not find a photo like what is going on with my plug. I do not over tighten it, only hand tight as shown in the CVA video.
Is it safe to use with the gouge ?
Is this what the Arrowhead conversion solves ?
variflame.jpg
Is

When I bought my CVA Paramount, I was made aware of this issue by a buddy before I even shot it. He recommended I get the upgrade kit from Arrowhead Rifles. I bought the upgrade kit and installed it before I even fire the gun. It performed excellent with Arrowhead's equipment installed. I also bought his muzzle brake to use with the power belt bullets.

Depends on who you talk to!! Variflame was designed by Cecil Epp but manufactured by Arrowhead for him and CVA is my take on several conversations. I'd say headspace is off and they need to correct it. I have a smokeless variflame conversion on a savage long action I head spaced barrel and plug to nice snug bolt closure which leaves no soot on variflame primer modules.

When I bought my CVA Paramount, I was made aware of this issue by a buddy before I even shot it. He recommended I get the upgrade kit from Arrowhead Rifles. I bought the upgrade kit and installed it before I even fire the gun. It performed excellent with Arrowhead's equipment installed. I also bought his muzzle brake to use with the power belt bullets.

I have a Colorado hunt starting September 10th so I won't have time to mess with all that before then, too busy with work, kind of leaning towards building a custom anyways. You know you are too !
I went with the T-Rex brake instead of a radial.
Do you still have the original breech plug ? I might just get a new one to get thru this hunt then figure out what to do. I'm not getting sprayed or anything like that but I don't imagine it is going to get better.

Last edited:
I'd say headspace is off and they need to correct it.
From my understanding the bolt is a type of self headspacing as it has a spring in it to close up snug against the plug. That is why the say not to only tighten the plug finger tight so the isn't excessive space. I can even back it out a bit and give less space but the bolt closes pretty stiff against the plug.

I have a Colorado hunt starting September 10th so I won't have time to mess with all that before then, too busy with work, kind of leaning towards building a custom anyways. You know you are too !
I went with the T-Rex brake instead of a radial.
Do you still have the original breech plug ? I might just get a new one to get thru this hunt then figure out what to do. I'm not getting sprayed or anything like that but I don't imagine it is going to get better.
I sold the gun when I didn't draw my muzzy tag and sent it to the new owner with both breech plugs unfortunately!

The breech plug face where the variflame adapter mates to it has what looks like a gouge in it where it seems gas is leaking(??) and the veriflame adapters are getting hard to remove. I clean the gun and plug after every use so it is not corrosion. I shoot it with BH209 and am happy with the gun and its accuracy.
I have searched and read quite a bit about a leak but could not find a photo like what is going on with my plug. I do not over tighten it, only hand tight as shown in the CVA video.
Is it safe to use with the gouge ?
Is this what the Arrowhead conversion solves ?
View attachment 388016Is
That is gas cut. Replace it or go to the Arrowhead system

I have to say I am impressed with their customer service and response time. I contacted them via their site last night and got an email back this morning requesting a picture. I explained that I follow all their procedures and don't over tighten the plug(which could give excess headspace) and clean after every range session. We will see if it happens again. The response I got was ;
"Then it was most likely that the breechplug you had, came with a small flaw that caused it to do that. The new one heading your way should resolve the issue you are experiencing."

Shim the bottom with an O ring from McMaster Carr it will correct your headspace issue. Look on Modern Muzzleloader forum and you will see this is common problem. Best to switch to Arrowhead and be done with it.

Shim the bottom with an O ring from McMaster Carr it will correct your headspace issue. Look on Modern Muzzleloader forum and you will see this is common problem. Best to switch to Arrowhead and be done with it.
Thanks ! I looked it up and will read thru it.

They sent out a new breach plug very fast(and free) but it was the wrong size, new one should get here tomorrow according to the tracking.
Unfortunately now it seems I got a bad batch of 330 grain ELR's as about 1/3 of them slide down the barrel with almost no resistance on a fired barrel. I've never had this happen in about 170 shots of these bullets. Measuring the remaining box of this same lot number( shot most of the two 15 pack before I realized what might be happening) a few of them measure 0.503" at the base of the plastic skirt while most are 0.507-0.509" while the bullet itself is a very consistent 0.497". Velocity is off by 400--500fps and POI way out of the pattern. I think they are going to send a new batch. I will probably change after this season but not before my CO cow hunt next weekend the10th.
pb1.jpg

Last edited: