CVA Paramount Pro Colorado

How do the windage/elevation adjustments work? Are they "click" style? I see they are "locking" but not really sure how they adjust by the online pics

I'm used to the "ramped, loosen screw, push with finger" type and hate trying to fine tune them --- it seems to always be nit enough or too much

How do the windage/elevation adjustments work? Are they "click" style? I see they are "locking" but not really sure how they adjust by the online pics

I'm used to the "ramped, loosen screw, push with finger" type and hate trying to fine tune them --- it seems to always be nit enough or too much
Windage is adjusted with the 2 Allen screws on the right side which then have set screws to keep them in place. The elevation adjustment is accomplished by loosening the peep aperture then using the adjustment screw on top. One you set zero you tighten the peep aperture to lock it in place. It is extremely solid.

Windage is adjusted with the 2 Allen screws on the right side which then have set screws to keep them in place. The elevation adjustment is accomplished by loosening the peep aperture then using the adjustment screw on top. One you set zero you tighten the peep aperture to lock it in place. It is extremely solid.
Is it easy to fine tune? Sounds like a nice option for rear peep applications

I have a similar Lyman peep sight on my Hawkens 54 that is literally 35 years old and it is really amazing how well you can shoot with one. I did add the front globe interchangable so I could change out depending upon conditions. I wouldn't hesitate using a peep sight at all for longer distances with ML. I shoot 200 yards with my old Hawkens with it and on a rifle like the Colorado it would be deadly as all get out! Wish I hadn't seen this thread though, looking it over for a ML in CO as well.

Well the paramount colorado and powerbelt elr bullet strikes again.
We spotted this deer at 450 yards away and stalked to 185 yards. Had to wait for him to come down of the top to get a safe shot but once he did it was one and done. Never took a step. The new rear sight is a much better choice as far as adjustability, reliability and repeatability when removed. Pull it off to run an optic and pop it back on and it's zeroed. This isn't a big deer for our area but I've shot my monsters. This one was just plain FUN ac he gave me a perfect opportunity to try this rifle out on game once again.
20201011_082931.jpg
20201011_084523.jpg
20201011_092012.jpg
20201011_115958.jpg

So I've updated a couple things on the rifle and downloaded the video of my back to back 300 yard hits with open sights.

There were 2 things I felt needed upgraded on this rifle mainly so one could run optics without a bunch of hassle. The first is the rear sight. The Williams western precision peep sight comes with 2 different sight bases. One tall and one short. The short allows a 100.yard zero and the tall allows for a 200-300 yard zero with a150gr load. Since I'm shooting 170grs the rear sight has to be all the way down and I'm dead on at 300 yards. This sight is far from "precise". The elevation and windage are both held in place with tiny set screws and moved with your fingers. This makes small adjustments impossibly frustrating. It also gives that sight 2 or 3 places for failure and possible loss of the peep (which has happened to one colorado owner I know of already.) The other thing was the sight had to be completely disassembled and removed to attach a scope base.
So I purchased a set of burris bases and the NECG picatinny peep sight. I first tried a standard 20moa base but it's too high and would require a taller front sight. The NECG sight has precise elevation and windage adjustment that both lock in place. This allows you to remove the sight with the thumb wheel to go to optics and replace the sight after with no need to rezero.
View attachment 215686View attachment 215687View attachment 215688

The second place that needed addressed was the comb. It's extremely flat to accommodate the sight picture. This made running optics impossible if you wanted to maintain a positive cheek weld. So I contacted Matthews Fabrication and he made me a custom kydex cheek riser in ranger green that matches perfectly. He even put my custom logo in it. It works great and allows me to go back to sights quickly and easily.
View attachment 215689View attachment 215690View attachment 215691

All in all this is a great rifle. The accuracy is amazing as you can see from the YouTube video In linked below. The recoil was horrendous before the LR customs brake and still isn't pleasant but it's manageable. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have

I appreciate your posts here, lots of great info.

I'm interested in the exact setup you are using with the williams western precision sight and the plex reticle for my front sight, and the burris bases with the NECG rear peep sight.

I was wondering if you think the plex reticle system performs ok in low light conditions?

I am also wondering what exact part number for the burris weaver style bases was? I dont see the burris weaver bases for CVA and was hoping you could direct me so I dont order the wrong ones.

Lastly, would a picatinny rail fit for the CVA work as well, or would the height be different enough from the weaver style ones you're using to mess up with front and rear sight alignment?

in other words, would this standard (not 20 or 30 moa)found here work the same?: https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/cva-paramount-picatinny-rail/

Thank you for your time I would really appreciate your help!

I appreciate your posts here, lots of great info.

I'm interested in the exact setup you are using with the williams western precision sight and the plex reticle for my front sight, and the burris bases with the NECG rear peep sight.

I was wondering if you think the plex reticle system performs ok in low light conditions?

I am also wondering what exact part number for the burris weaver style bases was? I dont see the burris weaver bases for CVA and was hoping you could direct me so I dont order the wrong ones.

Lastly, would a picatinny rail fit for the CVA work as well, or would the height be different enough from the weaver style ones you're using to mess up with front and rear sight alignment?

in other words, would this standard (not 20 or 30 moa)found here work the same?: https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/cva-paramount-picatinny-rail/

Thank you for your time I would really appreciate your help!
Thanks I'm glad you found some good info. The burris mount I'm using is #410600. The paramount action is a remington 700 SA. The plex reticle isn't great in low light but honestly none of the provided reticles are. They're only a good as your eyes lol. On my elk they weren't bad though given the light body color. The tally mount you asked about wont work with the NECG peep because it positions the sight to high and you won't have enough adjustment to zero even at 200 yards. Thats why I chose the burris xtreme tactical bases as they're the absolute lowest I could find. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again

Thanks I'm glad you found some good info. The burris mount I'm using is #410600. The paramount action is a remington 700 SA. The plex reticle isn't great in low light but honestly none of the provided reticles are. They're only a good as your eyes lol. On my elk they weren't bad though given the light body color. The tally mount you asked about wont work with the NECG peep because it positions the sight to high and you won't have enough adjustment to zero even at 200 yards. Thats why I chose the burris xtreme tactical bases as they're the absolute lowest I could find. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again
Thank you! I plan to try the exact same setup...once I can find the front globe in stock. I will report back if I have a different experience but hoping this addresses the issues I have been trying to figure out.

Here is a video of before and after adding the LR Customs mz-rex 2 muzzle brake. The difference in felt recoil is amazing..

[]
I ordered the MZ-TREX 2 from LR Customs and they said
"I cannot guarantee the accuracy if using the powerbelt bullets. The skirts have been known to blow up inside the brake."
Has anyone with a brake found this to be the case ? Obviously you aren't having that problem but somebody must have had it happen.
I am also finding that Blackhorn 209 is unicorn dust and none of my local shops have seen it in a while and I have found none online, anybody try a different powder with the 325 ELR's ?

I ordered the MZ-TREX 2 from LR Customs and they said
"I cannot guarantee the accuracy if using the powerbelt bullets. The skirts have been known to blow up inside the brake."
Has anyone with a brake found this to be the case ? Obviously you aren't having that problem but somebody must have had it happen.
I am also finding that Blackhorn 209 is unicorn dust and none of my local shops have seen it in a while and I have found none online, anybody try a different powder with the 325 ELR's ?
LR Customs is right..........
The ELR's are well known to cause problems when shot through a brake. CVA has had 2 or more revisions to brakes and still, owners are just removing their brakes and saying 'to heck with it'. However, get rid of the ELR's and shoot a good bullet, bullet to bore and the brakes work.
There are a lot of great bullets that can be used..

I'm going to attach a photo that will clearly show what happens when plastic goes through a brake, in this case a radial brake. Its clearly evident that the base of sabots are shredded when shot through a brake. This is exactly what happens with the ELR, except..... the skirt remains attached to the bullet, unlike a sabot. There goes accuracy.
Its easy to see which were shot through a brake and those which were not.

with and without brake.JPG