• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

CVA Paramount or Smokeless conversion

Check out Hankins Custom Rifles....not sure the exact website name but his videos and info are all over the net. He builds some really nice rifles and smokeless muzzs. A couple years ago he began converting the CVA single shot 45-70 into a smokeless. CVA sells several models and they all work. Cost for the CVA around $375-400. He then installs his proprietary breech system and makes any other changes to complete the conversion.
He has his own machined primer ignition, which holds a large magnum rifle primer.
I have 2 friends who have went this route and both are beyond happy with the results. They are shooting a 325gr Pittman in the 2650fps range using imr 4198....I think around 65gr. And getting .5moa out to 300yds. They just haven't shot beyond 300, but the gun will do it.
In short they are getting close to the same ballistics and accuracy as I do with a "custom" McWhorter.45 XML. The best part.....all in their cost was roughly $1100.
The bullets are sized and require no plastic sabot. I'd check him out if you are going to spend any money buying a muzzleloader.

That's what I'd like to find, would order one but they're out until April.

Hmmm.....there is an awesome build for sale on this site.....and the price is too low in my opinion. Check out the classifieds.
It has a laminate wooden stock, which makes it heavy, but u could always change it, if the weight is an issue. I think the guy was asking $1900, and every component is top shelf. I was tempted to buy it myself.
Once u go smokeless you'll never go back. You couldn't pay me to use pellets or even BH209 again.
i would wait until April before I bought a non smokeless. The advantages are way more than just additional range and predictable accuracy. The clean up and maintenance is worth the price of admission.