CVA Optima

fladeerhntr

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a difficult time finding an accurate load for the Optima? I started out with 295 grain powerbelts with 777 pellets (100 grains) and it shot terrible. Next I tried the powerbelt aerolite with the same 100 grain load of 777 pellets and it shot terrible too. After getting some advice from a buddy I work with who shoots a CVA wolf he told me I needed to stop shooting the pellets and switch to loose powder so I switched to loose 777 powder and tested it yesterday with 100 grains shooting the harvester scorpion pt 260 grain bullet with crush rib sabot and it still shot terrible. I've seen where some have went up to 110 grains of powder with this same bullet with really good results and my buddy at work has seen really good results by backing his off to 90 grains. Just wanted to see if anyone has any advice on what I could do to get this gun to group.

My Optima rifle and pistol shoot very well. My rifle load is 77gr by weight of blackhorn 209. 110 by volume. I like to weigh my loads for consistency. Top that off with 250 gr 45 cal hornady in a crush rib. I use this same bullet in my pistol with less powder and it also shoots very well. Good luck!!

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a difficult time finding an accurate load for the Optima? I started out with 295 grain powerbelts with 777 pellets (100 grains) and it shot terrible. Next I tried the powerbelt aerolite with the same 100 grain load of 777 pellets and it shot terrible too. After getting some advice from a buddy I work with who shoots a CVA wolf he told me I needed to stop shooting the pellets and switch to loose powder so I switched to loose 777 powder and tested it yesterday with 100 grains shooting the harvester scorpion pt 260 grain bullet with crush rib sabot and it still shot terrible. I've seen where some have went up to 110 grains of powder with this same bullet with really good results and my buddy at work has seen really good results by backing his off to 90 grains. Just wanted to see if anyone has any advice on what I could do to get this gun to group.
Try 2 pellets with a 250 grn sst

80gr weigt blackhorn 209
Hornady 250 sst with black harvester sabot

Shoots awesome. Right at one moa up to 250 yards.

I did a ladder test. Know your max load, start there and start backing off couple grains at a time until you see a node where they are hitting together.

100 grains of 777 and a 250gr Thompson center shockwave bullet have been the best shooting combo I've tried. 1.5" groups are plenty good for me, I'm not shooting past 200yd. I like the pellets for easier handling. That load is flat shooting for a ML and has done very good on KY deer. The 200-250gr seem perfect for my situation l, I've tried heavier bullets but they didn't n't open up like I wanted. Inside 100yds most have been bang flop on shoulder shots. Bullet will still open up out at 200yd and leave a blood trail Ray Charles could follow. My dad has killed more deer with my ML than me and swears he'd rather use it in rifle season if we hunted thicker woods.

I hunt elk almost exclusively with a muzzleloader. My CVA Optima shoots lights out with 76gr BH209 (by weight), a 290gr Barnes TE-Z, and Fed 209A primer. That Barnes will break both shoulders too.

Mine shoots the heavy power belt platinum,The Thor 300gr, And the federal bore look 270 all sub moa with loose powder.

Do a load ladder just like with a centerline rifle to find a good load.

No pellets or optics for hunting here in co-- I do my load workup with a scope-- then take it off and practice with open sights for hunt season.

My original v2 shot 79 grains, BH209, behind Barnes 250 tipped, in green remington sabot. Sighted for 150 zero. No deer ever made it. Very accurate, consistent, and deadly.
Just bought a v2 LR. Will try the same load in it.
Ps, the above charge is weighed, not measured. It's about 115 by volume. Potent.

Recent Posts