CVA Optima, Stuck Firing Pin - HELP!

Daisy Cutter

Hello everybody, I'm brand new to the site and can use some help. I have a CVA Optima - 2003. I hunt with it like crazy, keep it well cleaned, and shoot several deer with it every year. I've never had a problem with it until this year. I shot it a month ago to verify accuracy and it shot fine. Took it out this weekend to hunt and the firing pin was froze. I also have a 2004 Optima Pro that I've only used once for elk hunting in Colorado, last shot it in 2008 and the firing pin on that one was froze up as well. I ended up flooding every orifice on both guns with gun oil, tapped the firing pins back about 50 times, and repeatedly fired, and tapped, fired and tapped, and finally they are both working. Here are my questions:

#1 - What do you recommend to prevent this from happening again?

#2 - Is there a way to get to this area to lubricate? Can the pins be pushed out to remove the trigger mechanism to get to the area? I tapped on the pins several times but they do not seem to move like on my other guns like say a Remington 870 where I routinely remove the trigger assembly to clean it.

Thanks, Steve

If the weather is cold, like in the minus degrees, you should not be using any lube on the firing pin, as the oil gets sticky causing a failure to fire.
Clean the oil off the firing pin before you go out to shoot in the cold weather.lightbulb

I did call the CVA service department and they weren't much help. They did tell me not to use oil. The problem is that there is no direct means to spray cleaning solvent into the area of the firing pin on my CVA Optima. My CVA Optima Pro does have a slot over the firing pin that can be turned out to gain access and clean the firing pin, but the CVA Optima earlier version does not have that feature. Someone on this site did have a drawing of the receiver that was very helpful, the CVA rep would not provide me one.

Another question I have is in regard the pins holding the trigger assembly in place. In my Remington 870, the pins have a indent that allows easy driving of the pins out. The CVA does not have an indent. Is it possible to drive these pins out and how difficult is it to get everything back together once removed? Thanks, Steve

Are your primers real clean with no soot after firing? The standard breech plug may be a little loose and be letting gas by the primers which in turn plugs the firing pin hole. The inert in the reciever that the firing pin goes through is slotted on mine and should be removed at each cleaning.
When i shot pyrodex powder pellets this insert would often plug with smoke residue. I have since switched to Blackbhorn 209 and switched the breech plug to the one recommended by blackhorn. My primers fit more snug now and fouling in the firing pin area is reduced, no problems since, but i better check, it doesn't get shot many times per year.