CVA Nitrided Barrel 1st Cleaning

Tiny Tim

Just acquired a CVA Accura Plains Rifle with the nitrided barrel. On initial barrel cleaning, every time I brush it with Hoppes, it just keeps bringing out crude. Doesn't do it with just soaked patches. Is this normal? Will it stop? Or do I say good enough? First experience with this process.

Pic?
Edit, why use a brush?
Was it salt bath nitriding or vacuum furnace? (Black or bright)

Just swabbed with wet patches vs scrubbing with bronze brush.

Attachments

• 20200912_083141.jpg
    20200912_083141.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 253
Apparently its the Hoppes attacking the brush. Couple hours after cleaning, the patch changed to this. Looks like little bronze flecks on the patch. Wasn't expecting such a reaction from Hoppes. I feel better now, even if I'm an idiot.

Attachments

• 20200912_083154.jpg
    20200912_083154.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 276
I used a bronze brush to clean mine prior to putting bullets down it. Yes, lots of crud in them.

Then follow that with copper removing solvent.

What you are seeing sir is cutting oil and nitride salts. These come from Spain and need a coating when traveling over the pond.

Yep use brake cleaner to remove this oil. I found many years ago when collecting old military rifles that were coated with cosmoline that spray carburetor or brake cleaner is what it takes to remove that stuff. Now for cleaning up black powder or substitute's I have found that Awesome Orange cleaner that you can get at the Dollar Tree stores for a Dollar a bottle is AWESOME. Fouling just melts on contact with this stuff and it has not harmed anything I have used it on and I have used it for years. How I came to use it is way back in the day Pyrodex came out with a cleaner called Pyro Clean or something like that. It smelled orangey so one day I decided to give the Awesome Orange a try. BINGO, worked the same but MUCH cheaper.

Had a similar issue. I use triple 7 and I noticed it formed the crud ring within a couple of shots first time out. I went to clean it the first time using some solvent put out by triple 7 and first patches started out black but eventually turned brown. I ran several dozen patches down the barrel and they kept coming out brown. Eventually, they came out less brown but brown none the less. I called up cva to see if this was normal. They told me that it was and that it was the nitride in the barrel that was causing it and it should not concern me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.