CVA Accura LR-X. Load Help

PowellSixO

I just picked up a Cva Accura Lr-x muzzleloader. This is my first muzzleloader. I've read a bunch about this rifle, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of people agreeing upon potential loads. Can you guys point me in the right direction? I've been told to use the variflame primer deals, so I can run large rifle primers. I've been told to run the powerbelt elr projectiles. But honestly, I'm super new to this. I shoot long range 22lr, and rifles, but I need a little guidance with this muzzleloader. Thanks everyone. Pics to come.

I use Powerbelts and White hots, Winchester 209s in my Accura and Optima. Usually 2-White Hots seldom 3 for the magnum load depending on projectile, hunting or punching paper. Start with a few of each and see what you and your new rifle like. I also have some triple 777 that I have not tried yet. My rifle shoots better than I do!

So 209 primers are impossible to find, so I purchased the variflame kit. I have tons of large rifle primers, so I should be good there. I ordered a few packages of the 285 gr powerbelt elr projectiles. Then I did the unspeakable, and bought powder from gunbroker! 125 bucks a pound (2lbs of blackhorn 209), plus shipping. Ugggg, I've been raped. Lol.

My goodness! Well I guess that is where it is all at these days.
Normally I wouldn't feed the price gougers, but I really want to get this buck. So I'm extending my season by getting a muzzleloader.
21B05929-D33F-464A-AB6C-D6C35E5AA9FE.jpeg

So I have gotten my hands on 2 lbs of blackhorn 209, and 2 lbs of Hodgdon fff triple 7. Can someone please help me confirm the max load for these two powders for a 285 gr powerbelt .45 projectile. From my research, I'm seeing 120 gr by volume (84 gr by weight) for the blackhorn 209. And I'm seeing 100 gr of 777 fff. I'm unclear if that by volume or weight. Thanks.

Well I got it figured out. I have not shot the 777 yet, but I have shot the bh 209. I went straight to the listed max load. After talking to several muzzleloader owners, I've gathered that the suggested max load for these is fairly conservative. I shot 12 shots over my chronograph. It averaged 2023 fps, with a es of 16 fps, and a sd of 11 fps. Not too shabby honestly, for what I was expecting. I zeroed it at 200 yards, and averaged a 2.33" group with 6 shots. I'd say that is very acceptable for a budget long range muzzleloader. After plugging in my information into a ballistic app, I'd say I'm deadly on paper to 400 yards. I don't know what my groups will look like at 400 yet, but I'd say it's safe to say I've effectively extended my hunting distance with my muzzleloader to 250-300 yards under the right conditions. I'm very pleased with that. The recoil is very acceptable honestly. I've never been recoil shy, but I was expecting more. I topped the muzzy with a Burris RT15. It's a good budget scope, for a budget muzzy. So far I'm very pleased.
A2412635-688C-4A7F-96D8-00CD75D20733.jpeg

Attachments

• CC329646-84D8-4DBC-B242-6F6EB3CF0CD6.png
    CC329646-84D8-4DBC-B242-6F6EB3CF0CD6.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,166
Shot the muzzleloader a lot the last few days. Well 30 shots, which feels like a lot with a muzzleloader. Anyway, I saved the last 5 for a 400 yard group. It's much more difficult to shoot one of these accurately, I'm finding. I gave this my best, and here are the results. By rifle standards, this is a horrible group. But seeing that this is my first muzzleloader, I'm ok with it. It's a bigger group than I like for hunting, and it's under perfect conditions. So I'm going to limit myself to 300 yards. I feel the accuracy and energy is there for an ethical shot, for the rifle and my abilities. Muzzy season opens this weekend, wish me luck.
3AEF6D0E-61BD-4D38-8A5B-46DEDF9795A6.jpeg