cutting new 7-30 water barrel

hunlee

My friend know of a gun smith down road from him and hunlee has deside to have new 7-30 water barrel cut down to pistol length,say15- 16-17-18 incher.This new 7-30 water barrle is going to be a long ranger for hunlee,but now undecided in barrel length?Gun smith going to charge hunlee $30.00 for cutting and polishing up the bore end of the barrel so good accuracy can be acheeved so hunlee want to get this rite the first time.Just how long should hunlee have new barrel cut?Hunlee allready have 14 inch 223 and 14 inch 375 windchester but this going to be a long ranger,i thinking a long ranger need long barrel,maybe 16 or 17 incher maybe longer.Please help hunlee with making up mind on this,really not want to be spending more than $30.00 for cutting barrel twice

hunlee

You can assume about 40 fps per inch. If you want as much as possible, then the 18" is what I would do. Part of the decision should be based on hunting style and type of hunting.
A good crown is important, since it has the last influence before it is in the air.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.