Cutting Edge Bullet Velocity

For those of you that are interested, I have tested four versions of the Cutting Edge 375s. The EXP 1 is a 375 gr. hollow point, the EXP 2 is a 400 gr. hollow point, the EXP 3 is a 377 gr. solid point and the EXP 4 is a 402 gr. solid point. My pick of the litter are the EXP 1 and 2. The ogive on these transition into the bore rider more smoothly than the EXP 3 and 4, the 1and 2 seemed to like my barrel better although all of them shot very well out to a mile.

These bullets gave accuracy at 100 yds you would have to see to believe. Dont ever let anyone tell you big long boat-tail bullets wont group at 100yds. Granted these were fired from a 6.5 exit twist; however, another individual is reporting similar results from an 8 twist. Another individual is reporting very good results with the 350 gr. from a 10 twist.

The design of these bullets are fairly conservative when compared to the other solids I have tested. The BCs are a little less than some of the prototypes I have fired but the Cutting Edge bullets are much less fussy.

Well there you go boys, these are good bullets. Now yall go gitchesome and lets start an argument about the BCs.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Cutting Edge or any other bulletmaker in any shape or form, my only interest is to keep the 375 alive.

Augustus,,,
I have been testing the "cutting edge" 377grain & 402 grain MTAC's over the last few weeks. I ran out of the 402's and I hope to complete the testing on them in my 8.25 twist 375 this week.
I have shot several of the 377 grain bullets in the same gun and got some awesome 100 yard groups and at 825 yards, my initial 3 shot group was 3.5 inches. I shot a few more and I saw some fliers. I cooled the barrel and shot a few more with some fliers along side another nice group.
This was at a lower charge of 142 grains of 50bmg...I did have another good group at 100 yards with 144 grains of powder, but didn't test them at any distance.

Any ideas or suggestions??

I didn't crono the fliers that day,,,,The day before at the range this load was averaging 2960 fps, but the Xbal validated speed was 3006 fps
and the distance was 825 yards...One flier was 11/2 moa high and the other flier was 11/2 moa low...It seems weird that I had a 3.5 inch 3 shot group and then these fliers....this basically happened twice....I think I will just go back to 200 yards and pound out some groups before I take them back to 800 yards...

All the testing I have done with the 377 and 402s have been out of the 6.5 twist. I guess I could screw on the 8 twist to see what they do out of it.

Just a thought are the fliers happening because the seal band isn't sealing the brux barrel ??
A 8.2 twist should stabilize the377gr cutting edge bullet alright.

I dont know about that. I have fired all of the prototypes from the 6.5 twist, all of the 375s and 400s are stable and shoot really nice from that barrel. I have fired all of the 375 and 400 versions except the 377 EXP 3 and the 402 EXP 4 from the 8 twist Lawton. I have not seen any fliers from either barrel although the 8 twist runs them around a min. and the 6.5 runs them around half min. The 6.5 barrel turned in some results that I discounted as flukes, well under
what I would expect from me or my rifle.

I will screw the 8 twist back on and see if the EXP 3 and 4 shoots ok out of it. Both the 6.5 Bartlien and the 8 twist Lawton are .366/375 configuration.

Last edited:
I just got back from shooting the 377 EXP3 and the 402 EXP 4 at 1770 yds out of the 6.5 twist. Three shot groups were running 10 to 12 inches, there was a 3-5 mph wind and I was doping it off of a track loader about 3/4 of the way to the target.

I really hate to tear my rig apart just to reaffirm what I have already seen with similar bullets out of the 8 twist. If you guys cant figure something out on the Brux barrel I guess I could screw the 8 on and fire some of these out of it. The EXP 3 and 4 have a slightly longer ogive than the other bullets I fired out of the 8 but I would expect them to be stable.

Last edited:
My 402 grainers should be here in a day or two..Im going to see what they will do with the 50bmg powder in my 8 twist. I will post the results.....
Im not going to give up on the 377's,,when I get another batch, Im going to go back to square one and shoot cardboard and plywood to see if they're perfectly round holes or footballing on me.....

Augustus,,If I understand it right, the Lawton barrel is a slightly different diamater than my brux....Does anybody know if Will's 10 twist bore is a standard bore??

Lawton made a special bore for the Lost River solids. The one I have is standard .366/.375, the Bartlien is also .366/.375

My fliers were commming from the 377 mtac Exp 3's....I just loaded up some more 400 gr MTH's Exp 2's for the 8.25 twist. The good news is that it should not take too much work to find the node because I've already played with 50BMG. I will be back at the range on Thrs to do some initial testing. This is a hunting bullet and I hope to see good results.

On another note.....My 10 twist barrel will be bedded in a new rifle this week. I have 50 ea of the 350 gr MTH Exp 4's....I will use Will's loading data to see if I can duplicate those awesome 2,000 yard groups. I hope to be shooting those next week. I will post the reslults.

zman

As most of you know Long time long ranger is up in Alaska shooting Caribou with the 338 Sin and 225gr Cutting Edge bullets. I got a call from him the other night letting me know how the 338 Sin and CE bullets were performing. His first shot was at ~883 yards, hit the Caribou in the shoulders and blew out of the back side with an exit hole ~1.25", no bullet was recovered, Caribou had no chance of moving. Next shot was in the mid 500 yards with the exact same result, no bullet recovered either. Don is happy with the cartridge, bullet, and ~7lbs scoped rifle. He will be able to tell more when he gets back.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.