Cutting Edge Bullet Kills

Shotty, You probably save money in the long run with the CE bullets when you consider number of shots to get an accuracy load. The Bergers typically take a lot of groups to determine seating depth. CE bullets are not as critical in the rifles I have used them in. They just shoot. They are not blow up fragmenting bullets like the Bergers.

They are solid copper and hold together blowing right through everything I have hit with them. They have performed the same for me whether the range was close or long range. Two hole double lung sucking wounds always. Nothing goes far with two holes and a good portion of the lungs blown out the exit hole.

I just returned from the weekend hunts and will upload pictures in the morning of terminal performance. Very impressive pictures but I am not into the blood and guts pictures. So I will post trauma pictures in the morning and no more. Everyone can judge for themselves. My son took a bull buffalo through both front shoulders at 289 yards and we both took buck antelope. Performance on all animals was impressive. The bullet used on all three kills was the 180 grain C21 30 caliber which tested out to be a .615 BC out to 1100 yards in my tests.

Can't wait for some terminal performance pictures, trophy photos are irrelevant to me when discussing the merits of a bullet.

Terminal trauma pictures from my sons antelope. Antelope was quartering towards us. He hit him square in the right shoulder and the bullet angled back through the body exiting the paunch. You can see the mess on the shoulder where he hit him and the nasty exit. The antelope traveled 18" straight down. Notice the splatter all over the exit side of the animal. The bullets take a lot of what is inside and splatter it all over the outside of the animal. There was junk splattered for ten feet behind where he hit the animal.

The rifle was a Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman chambered in 300 EOL Magnum (300 RUM). The bullet was the C21 180 grain Cutting Edge with a bc that tested out .615-.62 range.

hunting 041.jpg

hunting 040.jpg

hunting 053.jpg

Last edited:
Trauma through the lungs of the Bison my son shot Saturday. Bison was standing broadside at 289 yards. He shot him through the rear portion of the shoulder. The bullet traveled through both shoulders and exited out the off side shoulder. The bullet tore a gaping hole through both lungs with a nasty exit wound out the back shoulder. His lungs bled out and the entire chest cavity was completely full of blood. Enough to fill a five gallon bucket and maybe two.

I hoped to finally recover a bullet from the bull bison since they are so large and tough. Certainly a major test for any bullet. The bullet blew right through both shoulders. From all the testing I have done the past two years I don't know what else I can try. The bullets work!

I will not post any more blood and guts. It is very objectional to many and I can understand that. To show other hunters important information about bullet performance I went against my rules and did it once.

Rifle was the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman 300 RUM. The bullet was the C21 180 grain Cutting Edge.

hunting 038.jpg

hunting 037.jpg

Mr LTLR, was everything pictured killed with a .300 RUM + CE? Have you used any 7mm/6.5mm CEs in one of your STWs(if CE makes those sizes)? Was performance similar? What velocities are seeing in accurate loads in the RUM?

Also, whats a .375 Terminator? It looks like it doesnt have a neck at all??? Maybe the lighting..

And will a .375 CT Imp really push a 425gr to 3100fps?

Now back to the important part which is the trophy pictures of succesful hunts made possible by Cutting Edge bullets.

All were taken with the beautiful custom Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman hunting rifle chambered in 300 RUM. The load was 96 grains of Retumbo pushing the C21 180 grain Cutting Edge Bullet at 3460 FPS. The bison was 289 yards, my son's antelope was 293 yards and my antelope was 537 yards.

hunting 021.jpg

hunting 047.jpg

hunting 064.jpg

Lazerflat, Everything I pictured was taken with the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman rifle in 300 RUM and Cutting Edge bullets. The caribou were taken with the 200 grain CE and the others with the 180 grain. I have settled on the C21 180 grain at 3460 fps. It is extremely accurate in several rifles I shoot it in. I tested it for bc out to 1100 yards and it falls right in the .615-.62 bc range in all my rifles. That kind of bc in a 180 grain bullet at 3460 fps is very impressive when shooting it.

I have shot the 130 grain 264 bullet with excellent accuracy out of my 264 winchester and 264 STW. I have not taken game with it. I have not tried the 7mm bullets.

Laser flat, I pushed the 425 to 3000 from a standard 375/408 with a 30 inch barrel. I would say with a longer barrel the improved versions might get there but the load would be on the hot side.

I'm not big on "blood & guts" shots, I have not posted these on the net before.

Here are a few from the Red Stag & Hind I shot with my 375 Terminator, 400 CE leaving at 2920 fps impact distance 775 yards

Hind entry shots the first was a little back & my spotter thought I missed her & was about to tell me not to shoot as I shot her again, another 5 seconds & she would have fallen over.......

006-1.jpg

The damage on side Hind

002-3.jpg

The back of her

003-3.jpg

She moved a little way 20-40 yards so it is a little understandable that there is some bruising....

The Stag just dropped where he stood & slipped down the hill....DRT.

Stag entry wound.

007-1.jpg

On side

012.jpg

Off side with no cutting or manipulation of the wound.......

017.jpg

Given the damage, I lost very little meat.

I think the impact energy has a lot to do with the damage, it was around 2250 fps & 4550 ftlbs :cool:

Thanks for posting the terminal performance pics, they are much more important to a lot more guys than you think. I see no issues with them at all, we are hunting and fact of the mater is it killing an animal and blood and gutts are part of that, making an effective clean kill requires damaging internal organs and that damage is more important than trophy photos or holes in paper, it is where the rubber meet the road when we are talking bullets in a hunting situation!!!

The pics of the 375 hits are really interesting, I've been contemplating a 375 Cheytac in some form but it's hard to get some performance info. That blood shot is really not that horrible, looks like it mainly in the seams which is easily removed. I have pics of an elk that is blood shot about the same amount from a hit with a 140 Accubond which is considerable less bullet, though it's far more blood shot than I've gotten with my 338's with the bullets I've used so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.