Cutting Edge 425/13-6.5 Gain twist

Kranky, be advised the CE 400 and 425s may not need twists as fast as the barrels I have. If you go down this road you are pretty much stuck with solids. I don't think jacketed bullets can stand the abuse.

The 13-6.3 will work great with the 425 and 400 CE but it will more than likely tear the 350 SMK apart. I just want you to understand what you are dealing with. I feel a little responsible for folks becoming interested in the tight twist barrels and solids.

This sort of thing an expensive hobby but it's a load of fun. It's all still experimental so proceed with this in mind.

Kranky, be advised the CE 400 and 425s may not need twists as fast as the barrels I have. If you go down this road you are pretty much stuck with solids. I don't think jacketed bullets can stand the abuse.

Do you think the 350 SMK would cope with a straight 8 twist or a 10 to 8 twist at 375/408 imp speeds ?

If not what speeds do you think it would cope with ?

No worries Augustus. I have a 11.5 twist right now for the 350 SMK's and 330 Lehigh's. The new barrel is intended for only the more accurate solids shooting past 1500. I admit I got a little excited when you posted your results but dont worry, I wont blame you if I dont get similar results! I doubt that will be the case though.

KG, I fired the 350 SMK from a straight 8 twist, I didn't have any failures. Accuracy was around 3/4 Moa. They were pushed to 3200, 3150 seemed to be a moderate load.

I fired more of the 425s today, I had just mounted a new March 3-24 and fired two three shot groups at 100 yds. Both groups were just under .2 Moa. I backed up to 1770. The wind was 5 mph at 3 o'clock. I dialed .3 right and put 16.3 vertical. The target was a little round rock about the size of a volleyball. I was just using it as an aiming point. I powered down to 15 power, set the parallax, and fired one off. After recoil I got back in the field of view to see where the Rd would strike. Much to my surprise the little rock exploded. This rifle is the Lawton 8500 with the Bartlein 6-9 twist. The rifle including the March weighs only around 14 pounds.

I am really liking the March scope, I'll post a review in the optics forum after I have spent a little more time with it.

Agustus, is this a different rifle in 375 or is this the same rifle you started this thread with and a different barrel? Or am I just totally confised?:)

Also may I ask what you are using for a rangefinder and a ballistic program? A cold bore first round hit at 1770 yds on a less than 1/2 moa target is totally awesome. Very impressive.

Thanks
Jeff

Agustus, is this a different rifle in 375 or is this the same rifle you started this thread with and a different barrel? Or am I just totally confised?:)

Also may I ask what you are using for a rangefinder and a ballistic program? A cold bore first round hit at 1770 yds on a less than 1/2 moa target is totally awesome. Very impressive.

Thanks
Jeff

I second that.

It is a different rifle than the one I referred to at the beginning of this thread. The fist rifle is a Lawton 8000 with a 6.5-13 gain twist Bartlein. The last rifle I referred to is a Lawton 8500 with a 9-6 twist Bartlein.

I am using the Kestrel 4500 NV with Atrag. The rangefinder is a TERRIPIN. I have shot at this location with the first rifle using the same load so it wasn't like shooting cold at a strange location.

I do not expect to duplicate the results all the time. Even an old blind sow will find an acorn from time to time.

Thanks. I am very interested in your success. The 375's I have been around (not that many) have not impressed me that much and this is why I am building another .338. So you have really sparked my interest here. If you decide to sell one of these rifles please let me know..:D

Please keep the info coming. And don't discount that shot. I have sent my share of bullets to 1 mile and beyond. Hitting the a rock the size of "volleyball" at a mile is a awesome tack, especially with a wind correction. I look forward to hearing more of your testing.

Jeff

Augustus, have you tried retumbo or RL25 on your 400 or 425CE bullets in your 13-6.5 barrel?

I believe Retumbo is too fast for the 375/408, especially with the heavy bullets. I use BMG or 869 and would like to have something a little slower. RL33 may have potential, I am going to try it as soon as I can find some.

The rifle handles the 425 very well. I settled on 140 gr of BMG. I don't shoot it alot, generally only to pop a rock on the other mountian or to show out in front of my bros.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.