Customizing my Ruger Amer. Predator

Litehiker

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor (as well as a Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 CM). It shoots well enough (3/8 MOA W/ 140 gr. Hornady SST loads!)

I'm beginning to customize it a bit.
1. Boyd's laminated stock, classic cheekpiece (ordered)
2. Timney trigger (ordered)
3. SWFA scope (FFP and mil/mil) and some kind of one-piece mount, maybe Nightforce Unimount.
4. 20 MOA Pic. rail (already on the receiver)

I'll bed the V blocks in J-B Weld and add flush cup sling mounts with the same epoxy.

BTW, I may lighten the stock by hollowing out the butt and forearm a lot. Laminated stocks are heavy suckers. But first I'll hunt with it to see how it carries.

Anybody else here mod their Ruger American Predator?

I had one of the original Ruger American's. Beat the snot out of it (well over 2000 shots of 270 loaded almost to the max in a few months). The throat was 1/4" longer than when it was new and it still shot well under 1 MOA. I messed around with the rifle a lot, and was going to put a heavy barrel on it, but it never happened. Here are some pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115309...&authkey=Gv1sRgCJvh7_3R2My0HQ&feat=directlink

Please keep me informed on your build cause I actually had the same idea for my dads Christmas present. Was gonna do a rpr but it's to heavy for all the walking. So your build is exactly what I as gonna do. Even machine the shot out of the stock for weight. That way I can add a bit more for the eliminator 3 scope. My dad will never use turrets but he may us that scope.

Black Squirrel, Nice photos. Interesting that you went to the trouble of machining threads on the bolt handle for a new knob.Nice touch. Also interesting that you got good accuracy even with an eroded throat.

I'll likely have photos in a few months when everything is assembled. Probably first photos will be W/O the scope. The big expense, naturally, is the SWFA scope. The Boyd's stock comes first because I can't stand the wimpy forearm on the Ruger stock. Then a scope and last, the trigger. I've got the Ruger trigger backed off to the max and sealed with Locktite. Even so the trigger is merely "OK". Still it's better by a lot than factory triggers of 15 years ago.

It would be nice if there was some way to inlet a cavity and metal catch in the bottom of the butt to place a spare magazine there but the butt is likely too narrow for a nice fit.

Eric B.

Tank youse veddy nice.

I've heard of cutting the spring but never seen instructions. I'll try it. BTW, I copied the "Firing Line" instruction & photo page. Illustrated well - even I could do it.

Likely in another month Timney will have a trigger for it.

Eric B.

Please keep me informed on your build cause I actually had the same idea for my dads Christmas present. Was gonna do a rpr but it's to heavy for all the walking. So your build is exactly what I as gonna do. Even machine the shot out of the stock for weight. That way I can add a bit more for the eliminator 3 scope. My dad will never use turrets but he may us that scope.

I wouldn't go through all of this, in IMHO, especially for a gift, and double especially my father's gift. Get him a nice Savage 116 or 16 in the caliber of his choice and amaze him. By the time you rinky dink with a Ruger American you could buy the Savage for about the same (or less) money and have a rifle 3 times better in quality, handling, and upgradability. AND 1.5 times more accurate. Savage rifles are way above the quality of the entry level Ruger Americans. Savage's have very accurate button rifled barrels, even Mr. Krieger himself states his amazement at the accuracy of Savage barrels. And there is a high quality difference between the Savage Accustock (aluminum bedded) and a plastic Ruger American. You won't regret it.

I don't think anyone offers a DBM for the Ruger American yet. However I did email CDI precision a while ago, apparently they have had some interest in it and they are/ were making a list of which action length and how many people are interested in them.
Email CDI and express interest in it.

I wouldn't go through all of this, in IMHO, especially for a gift, and double especially my father's gift. Get him a nice Savage 116 or 16 in the caliber of his choice and amaze him. By the time you rinky dink with a Ruger American you could buy the Savage for about the same (or less) money and have a rifle 3 times better in quality, handling, and upgradability. AND 1.5 times more accurate. Savage rifles are way above the quality of the entry level Ruger Americans. Savage's have very accurate button rifled barrels, even Mr. Krieger himself states his amazement at the accuracy of Savage barrels. And there is a high quality difference between the Savage Accustock (aluminum bedded) and a plastic Ruger American. You won't regret it.

IMHO it is a fine plan. Until you have owned and shot one extensively I don't know how you could draw any of your conclusions beyond the availability of aftermarket parts. In addition taking a donor rifle and making it your own is fun for folks. In fact that is one of the reasons that Remmy's and Savages are so popular, there are many aftermarket parts for both. I own this gun and a number of Savages and enjoy them all because they all shoot very well. At the end of the day for me that is the acid test not the name on the gun.

Yes as stated above I have got the chance to shoot several and the are impressive. As a matter of fact I don't think any of my savages will hold with the ruger percision I bought. I would be building more for the fun of it so he had something that he likes and doesn't mind using. He has probably 35 new in box rifles from every brand and chooses not to shoot them. If I do a nice ruger American or savage axis with a stock I know he likes and a few extra goodies he will use it. He doesn't do any long range action per say but I'd like home to start a bit. He isn't to bad under 500 yards but doesn't shoot it a bunch. So it's more of a fun project that h can use to 300 yards for his deer hunting and just having fun.

Yes as stated above I have got the chance to shoot several and the are impressive. As a matter of fact I don't think any of my savages will hold with the ruger percision I bought. I would be building more for the fun of it so he had something that he likes and doesn't mind using. He has probably 35 new in box rifles from every brand and chooses not to shoot them. If I do a nice ruger American or savage axis with a stock I know he likes and a few extra goodies he will use it. He doesn't do any long range action per say but I'd like home to start a bit. He isn't to bad under 500 yards but doesn't shoot it a bunch. So it's more of a fun project that h can use to 300 yards for his deer hunting and just having fun.

I understand. And a Ruger American would look great in one of the Boyds stocks.
Good luck and posts some pics when you get it done.

I'm still trying to decide. You are correct if it was mine I'd start with something better and may actually do that. But I did an axis in a Boyd's stock with a few other touches to raise money for wounded warrior hunts we do and he really liked it so I wanna do one for him.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.