Custom Turret or not?

SPR123

I'd like to hear how you calculate to make your long range hunting shots in the field. Using the following list of equipment: Precision long rifle (7mmLRM for this example) Leica 1600-b, Kestrel 4500, Vortex 6-24 PST MOA scope and the "Shooter" app on my phone. If you have a custom turret made for a certain weather condition (humidity, altitude etc...) and you find your self in different condition, whats your method for correcting for the new condition? I'm thinking that you would just want to stay with a standard MOA turret instead of the custom turret? I know that if I had the G7 BR2 rangefinder that it would correct for me, but for this year I will be using the list of equipment stated above. Step by step, whats your procedure? And would you prefer custom turret or standard turret?

Last edited:
I get a turret tape made from Custom Turret Systems for my average conditions, 7000ft 35 degrees works very well for me in my area cause I'll be lower but warmer or higher and colder. I use this for quick shooting out to about 800 yards or so then I dial every thing since I have the tape made for one turn dialing range then the bottom line is MOA so I lose nothing.

I get a turret tape made from Custom Turret Systems for my average conditions, 7000ft 35 degrees works very well for me in my area cause I'll be lower but warmer or higher and colder. I use this for quick shooting out to about 800 yards or so then I dial every thing since I have the tape made for one turn dialing range then the bottom line is MOA so I lose nothing.

I live in FL. I hunt in NE and WY and never know what alt or weather conditions I'll be hunting. I just can't see how a custom turret would help? Am I thinking right?

I think your right but wrong, a BDC turret just won't be dead nuts but it's fast and will get you in the vitals out for a 600-800 yards sometimes better if you in tighter conditions. In my case I can have a bull come out at 500 yards looking over his shoulder so I have seconds to range and dial, the BDC is just right for this, range, dial and drop them!
I also want to be capable of dialing in on a feeding bull at 1200 yards, plenty of time for a shot that requires time and precision so the turret or turret tape I use is also marked in MOA along the bottom.

This system lets me have it all IMO!

I think your right but wrong, a BDC turret just won't be dead nuts but it's fast and will get you in the vitals out for a 600-800 yards sometimes better if you in tighter conditions. In my case I can have a bull come out at 500 yards looking over his shoulder so I have seconds to range and dial, the BDC is just right for this, range, dial and drop them!
I also want to be capable of dialing in on a feeding bull at 1200 yards, plenty of time for a shot that requires time and precision so the turret or turret tape I use is also marked in MOA along the bottom.

This system lets me have it all IMO!

I see your point.

And I guess if I zero the BDC turret at 500 once I show up to NE or WY before the hunt, It should be even closer at 800 - 1000 yards? How would you factor in a steep angle with the BDC turret? Or would you just do the calculation and dial with MOA?

BTW, thanks for your replies!!

Ryan

I use a BTD reticle ('Bout There'll Do) out to 350 and dial up in moa after that. A custom turret would be great for those wanting to shoot 600 yds or less in roughly the same hunting area from year to year. It eliminates one step from the process. For longer than that or for widely varying conditions the custom turret starts to show its limitations. A rangefinder with angle compensation would be fine in conjunction with a custom turret. I suppose you could interpolate between the turret's indicated yardage and the number of clicks needed using a program or custom drop chart. I'm only shooting out to around 700 with my setup for deer so I just carry a verified drop chart and that gets me pretty dang close.

gunwerks shooting system. i have a 7 mag with the br2 rangefinder and still waiting on my 7 LRM to get finished. pretty nice to have 200-600 on the retical itself so if i am in a quick shot situation, i range it and use the retical. if i have time, i range it, dial in the turret and good to 1200 yards. deff like the rangefinder setup. no need for turrets of every elevation. i have tried the rangefinder from 1000ft to 9500 ft elevation and its always been dead nuts as far as telling me where to hold or dial.

If I was only going to run one system it would be using a program and dialing, you may have to pass some shots or just miss out on them but when you shoot you can pull the trigger with confidence, at the longer ranges with a BDC you'll have to start fudging your hold or adjust your dial a little, I just use the BDC inside a range that I stay within a click of my program with elevation or temp swings which is about 600-800 yards so that's my limit with BDC.

Your gear list is largely like mine. I use my kestrel to program field conditions into app, range target, dial scope, dope wind, pull trigger. I am not a fan of custom turrets for just the reasons you enumerate...changing conditions.

I have used MOA turrets Shooter, Kestral, etc.with my 6.5x284/5x20 Huskemaw, but my preference is for turrets largely due to my primarily game being whitetail and mules deer and usually under 1000 yards. Time to shot is a critical factor for success for me, and the faster and simpler, the better. I use a turret that is calibrated for the average altitude and temperature for the area I hunt. For this work I memorize the click adjustments for variations in temperature and, or altitude. These are typically 1-2 clicks(depending on range) for each 20 degrees, and 1000 ft altitude variations. 10 mph wind adjustents are on my turret and adjusted mentally for speed and angle. I have had no issue making killing shots out to 1000 yards with this approach. Last year i used a G7 Rangefider for the first time. This is the BEST long range shooting investment I have made yet. One yardage turret with an MOA scale on the bottom of the turret covers everything. It works.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts