custom sizing dies/ Redding or?

frankenstein

I need some expert advice on a little project I'm putting together. It's a 1000-yard benchrest heavy class rifle in 6.5-06 improved 35 degrees. Redding tech says their Competition Type S dies are hardened so I can't have a traditional 6.5-06 opened up by running my reamer in-will ruin the reamer. Is there another brand of dies that can be made to work and still provide the accuracy I want or should I cough up $150 and order a custom sizing die from Redding (once I get it all together and can send some fire-formed cases) Any suggestions?

Frank-
Redding Competition dies with the sliding sleeve are not hardened. I have custom dies made from these. Another option is to buy a Newlon die blank. Have your gunsmith ream it with the chamber reamer. They use standard Redding or Wilson bushings. These blanks are under a 100 bucks. Are you buying your own reamer? If so, order an undersized reamer to go along with the chamber reamer. About .003 under the chamber reamer would be a good bet, you can use this to make a full length die on the Newlon blanks. Niel Jones makes a nice custom die but they are costly. You definitely have a few options to choose from. I would avoid having Redding make custom dies unless you don't mind a very long wait.

Prime Time
When you say .003 do you mean take .003 off all chamber dimensions?

Ditto on Primetimes suggestion. I was facing the same thing a couple of years back with a 6mm AI, bought the competition dies and had the sleeve reamed by the smith.

Nodak

frank, if you don't mind neckturning a bit, have the smith cut the chamber tight enough that you can skip the sizing step. That's the way our local smith does it here for comp guns. If you have a press, you could have your builder begin with a Wilson die and ream it out with your chamber reamer. I've had that done too and it works great.
Tim

Thanks for the advice on customizing my dies. I'm still a little confused
confused.gif
about using Redding Competition dies--is the Comp bushing style neck sizing die as shown in Redding's 2002 product catalog on page 5 hardened or not? Or are we discussing other (or older model)Comp dies? The rest of the parts on this "monster" are coming together except for this.

A sizing die that I have had a lot of success with is the Lee Collet neck sizing die. They will make a custom die set for $50. Just send them a couple of cases and a bullet. Set does not include a FL sizer but in a bench gun probably not needed.

Good luck...

Jerry

Frankenstien, Bet your busy tonite...
grin.gif

I "share" a redding Comp Neck & Comp seating die with a shooting buddy. The sleeve inside these dies are not hardened. I had them reamed out by my smith without any issues... I contacted Pat Ryan at Redding in regards to this so I could assure my smith that he wouldn't wreak his reamer..

I don't have their catalog to refer to, but
if you have any doubts, give Redding a call..
cool.gif
They'll listen to ya...

Nodak

[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: Nodak7mm ]

frankenstein i shoot ibs 1000yd with 65-06 imp i use wilson neck die, wilson micro -seater and a neil jones body die its no cheap at around 250.00 but it is the best there is you have to send neil 3peices of fired brass do not size just send it right out of the gun thats how he gets a chamber match. you will see better loads & better groups.
cool.gif

frankenstein i shoot ibs 1000yd with 65-06 imp i use wilson neck die, wilson micro -seater and a neil jones body die its not cheap at around 250.00 but it is the best there is you have to send neil 3peices of fired brass do not size just send it right out of the gun thats how he gets a chamber match. you will see better loads & better groups.
cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.