Custom/Semi-custom build question?

95huskers

Hi guys,

I am thinking about my first custom build. I want to build myself a .260 Rem or a 6.5-284 for long range hunting. I currently have a Savage 110 Predator Long Range rifle in 6.5-284 Norma and love the caliber and have also been intrigued by .260 Rem. Whichever I choose to go with I want to shoot 140 or 130gr Berger bullets (I think). My limitation on using the Savage as a platform to build on is the stock options I have due to the detachable magazine. Are there any known stocks out there for this gun (don't want a wood stock)??

The two platforms I have to build off of right now are:

Savage 110 Long Range Predator 6.5-284 with dtach magazine
-or-
Remington VSSF 2 .22-250

I would like to keep my spending to a minimum starting out. Is there much I can do to customize one of these two or would I be better off starting from scratch? Thanks!
progress.gif

Stockade stocks is the place to go for Savage stocks. I like the quality and the workmanship in the stocks. They are synthetic with a lot of upgrade options. Check them out and give Kevin Rayhill a call if you have any questions. I like building on Savage actions. H-S make a stock that will allow you to use the DBM, but not sure if it is available in the long action. Manners, McMillian, all make stocks and will cut the bedding for your rifle. If you want to make it real sweet, I would suggest going with the CDI bottom metal that utilizes the AI magazines, or one of Stockades. Kevin has his own bottom metal that might work. Believe me, I know what your going through with trying to find a stock, but I wouldn't give up on my Savage. Love the platform.

Remington will be easier to find a stock for, but you will need a lathe to set the barrel and head space. They make a great platform also with lots of options. I am a Savage guy though. My next build will be of a Savage or go the route of a Stevens to save some money.

Tank

Stockade stocks is the place to go for Savage stocks. I like the quality and the workmanship in the stocks. They are synthetic with a lot of upgrade options. Check them out and give Kevin Rayhill a call if you have any questions. I like building on Savage actions. H-S make a stock that will allow you to use the DBM, but not sure if it is available in the long action. Manners, McMillian, all make stocks and will cut the bedding for your rifle. If you want to make it real sweet, I would suggest going with the CDI bottom metal that utilizes the AI magazines, or one of Stockades. Kevin has his own bottom metal that might work. Believe me, I know what your going through with trying to find a stock, but I wouldn't give up on my Savage. Love the platform.

Remington will be easier to find a stock for, but you will need a lathe to set the barrel and head space. They make a great platform also with lots of options. I am a Savage guy though. My next build will be of a Savage or go the route of a Stevens to save some money.

Tank

Thanks for the info on the Savage stocks. I will check them out for sure. If I decide to do the Remington I already have the stock. That gun wears an HS Precision stock already so it would just be a different barrel. And?? That is where I get lost....how to convert calilbers.

There are some guys on here that could help you with the Remmy barrels. I can talk ya through the Savage swap. They are very simple. I can change my barrel and set he head spacing in a little over 5min.

Tank

+1 on the stockade. As tank said, swapping savage barrels is cake and you do not need any fancy tools just a wheeler barrel nut wrench. If you want to go a cheaper route you can use a choate tactical or bell and carlson duramax, with a savage part # 106130 clip retainer for centerfeed magizines and convert it to a blind magazine by removing the bottom from your clip, also very simle.

The VSSF is a great platform to build on. You already have a great stock with it.

Something you might consider is just sending it to Krieger and have them square/true it and put a .260 barrel on it. You could get the whole thing done then for under 800.00 and should have a super nice shooter when you are done.

Me, I'd go with the .260 just because I'm loving mine.

Just have them put a 28" sendero tapered barrel on it and their heavy fluting and you should end up with a great LR rig with ridiculously mild recoil.

Go for the 1-8 or 1-8.5 twist and you're set.

The VSSF is a great platform to build on. You already have a great stock with it.

Something you might consider is just sending it to Krieger and have them square/true it and put a .260 barrel on it. You could get the whole thing done then for under 800.00 and should have a super nice shooter when you are done.

Me, I'd go with the .260 just because I'm loving mine.

Just have them put a 28" sendero tapered barrel on it and their heavy fluting and you should end up with a great LR rig with ridiculously mild recoil.

Go for the 1-8 or 1-8.5 twist and you're set.

WildRose,

I like this idea of converting the VSSF to a .260. What bullet are you running in yours and how will it compare ballistically to my 6.5-284? I'd really like to shoot the Berger VLD hunting bullets if possible. Also, Would there be a cheaper company other than Krieger that could do this for me? I'm on a bit of a budget and $800 is a little bigger pill than I can swallow at this time. Thanks!

WildRose,

I like this idea of converting the VSSF to a .260. What bullet are you running in yours and how will it compare ballistically to my 6.5-284? I'd really like to shoot the Berger VLD hunting bullets if possible. Also, Would there be a cheaper company other than Krieger that could do this for me? I'm on a bit of a budget and $800 is a little bigger pill than I can swallow at this time. Thanks!
Look at the swift scirocco's.

Superior hunting bullet and an outstanding LR bullet.

Call Krieger and talk to them. I don't know exactly what it would cost but I'm sure it's under 800.00.

You can also look at the Lapua Senar's in 123gr. Not a great hunting bullett but outstanding for HV and high BC varmint and target.

120-130gr is where the .260 really shines as far as hitting the balance between velocity and accuracy.

6.5mm/.264 Caliber - Rifle Bullets - Scirocco II - Bullets without equal!

Products - Lapua

If you want to go with the savage, just consider how much you'll spend by the time you rebarrel, restock, new trigger etc... .

Either way you'll be in the 600-800.00 range most likely by the time you are done so get the most for your money and enjoy it for a lifetime.

I never think in the short term with guns as I've never sold but one that I had. When I get one, it's part of me. Some guys just swap and trade them like cars or underwear and change with the mood. I don't have the cash or the desire to do that so I bide my time.

It's taken me about 18 months to get my AR in .260 together and I'm glad I took the time to do it right even though there were times I came close to saying "screw it" and just picked up something used from someone else.

By the time I'm done, optics and all I'll have about 2,800-3000.00 in it and I'll be very happy with the end product. I could have saved a thousand or so going the other way, but this one is mine from bottom to top.

It's better to wait a few months and put extra in the kitty than it is to get in a rush, spend a bunch of money, and end up with something less than you really wanted.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.