IdahoHunter208

I just purchased a sweet little custom setup and need some help figuring out what 7mm/.284 cartridge I want to chamber my rifle in and what bottom metal to do.

Specs:
Action: BigHorn SR3 Long Action Magnum BF. Wyatts cut
Stock: Manners EH1 inlet for Bartlein 3B contour, Hawkins BDL cutout
Barrel: .284/7mm Bartlein 3B 1:9 twist 26in
Trigger: most likely trigger tech
Bottom metal: ???
Caliber: ???

I need help on a light weight bottom metal that will work (EH1 stock has hawkins BDL cutout) and figuring out what to chamber the barrel in. I don't have any 7mm reloading equipment so I will be getting dies and all that jazz.

Use: I will be using this rifle for pretty much any size of game from pronghorn to elk. And want the to be confident with an ethical kill out to 1000yards *obviously requires some serious practice so realistically 700-800yrds*
(Since it is the SR3 action I hope to, sometime at a later date, get another barrel in 30cal such as 300PRC to swap in and out but that isn't a priority right now.)

Options: 7mm rem mag, 28 Nosler, etc... Also could sell the contoured barrel blank and do a 6.5 PRC or similar. But for now focus on .284/7mm magnum cartridges.

Attachments

• Bighorn.jpeg
    Bighorn.jpeg
    843 KB · Views: 577
  • Manners.jpeg
    Manners.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 357
I'd just go 28 Nosler and never look back...
For 1000 yard HUNTING shots, he'll need the 'horsepower', so I was thinking the same thing (.28 Nosler.) If he hadn't said that, I was leaning 7mm RM just because it's a classic cartridge with tons of factory and reload options available. And it won't kick quite as hard. Light rifles in heavy kicking cartridges tend to sit in the safe a lot...

As for bottom metal, perhaps this?
Hawkins Precision Oberndorf Bottom Metal
*CNC-machined
*Patented cantilever spring release ensures that the floorplate will not accidentally open under any level of recoil
*Made for Remington 700 short action and long action (also available as a kit with action screws and follower)
**Long action weighs 2.6oz; short action weighs 2.5oz
Go here, then scroll down past the detachable magazine stuff at the top of the page:
https://hawkinsprecision.com/bottom-metal/

For 1K and elk, I would go 28 Nosler with 195gr Bergers. 7 Rem Mag is a great cartridge, but I feel falls a little short at that range for a big animal. As far as bottom metal goes, Hawkins is the way to go in my opinion. Well built and very light weight.

Hawkins on the bdl metal, nothing better.
Case:
28 nosler
7 -300wm
7rem
7 blaser mag
7wsm
7 Sherman max
7saum

Of all those cases, I like the 7 blaser the most, it's basically an 82gr capacity saum, 30° shoulder, long neck for heavy bullets, good norma brass.
Now that ADG makes 7mag & 300 win mag brass, I'd consider it, or the 7-300 it'll run right with the nosler case with much cheaper and available brass.
7wsm brass from Bertram is tough as hell and will run same fps as the rem mag and blaser.
7 Sherman max is based on the saum case, it runs with 7 mag and blaser. The 7 saum is the slowest and smallest case of the bunch, however it's the most efficient of all them, will push 180s @ 2900 with RL26.

I just got started on a very similar build. Im using Hawkins obendorf bdl and 7rem but I'm not concerned with anything past 700 yards. Hawkins seems to be a very popular bdl and you are already inlet for it.

Rock 8.5 works with them. If building another I'd go with an 8 twist though. I'd throat a 7mm Remington Mag to hit lands with a 180 eld or 195 EOL at about 3.52.

I just purchased a sweet little custom setup and need some help figuring out what 7mm/.284 cartridge I want to chamber my rifle in and what bottom metal to do.

Specs:
Action: BigHorn SR3 Long Action Magnum BF. Wyatts cut
Stock: Manners EH1 inlet for Bartlein 3B contour, Hawkins BDL cutout
Barrel: .284/7mm Bartlein 3B 1:9 twist 26in
Trigger: most likely trigger tech
Bottom metal: ???
Caliber: ???

I need help on a light weight bottom metal that will work (EH1 stock has hawkins BDL cutout) and figuring out what to chamber the barrel in. I don't have any 7mm reloading equipment so I will be getting dies and all that jazz.

Use: I will be using this rifle for pretty much any size of game from pronghorn to elk. And want the to be confident with an ethical kill out to 1000yards *obviously requires some serious practice so realistically 700-800yrds*
(Since it is the SR3 action I hope to, sometime at a later date, get another barrel in 30cal such as 300PRC to swap in and out but that isn't a priority right now.)

Options: 7mm rem mag, 28 Nosler, etc... Also could sell the contoured barrel blank and do a 6.5 PRC or similar. But for now focus on .284/7mm magnum cartridges.
Yeah that 9 twist might be an issue, I'd go with an 8 twist for long range hunting and shoot the 180 ELDM or 195's.

Don't get caught up in ultimate speed, there are many drawbacks and very little gain with really overbore magnums.
I'd go with a 7 wsm throated long, or if you're into fire forming and custom dies the 7 Sherman max.

I'm pushing 180's 3000 fps in my 26" barreled
7-300 wsm, it's fairly light at 9 lbs scoped and it's very easy to shoot braked.
The wsms are super accurate and easy to tune, I've shot 2.5" groups at 820 yards with my 7.

Just remember practice is the most important thing for long range hunting

I 100% agree. This rifle with my NF ATACR F1 5-25x56mm should be right around 10lbs. So I should be ok as far as weight goes. Could do some fluting on the barrel to cut some weight but that is what I am estimating.
9.5#s more than likely. But still plenty light to carry all over elk country.
Here is mine, similarly set up. 9lbs 9oz scoped.
R700 LA BDL
26" 1:8.5" Bartlein #3b fluted w. APA Micro Bast brake
Manners EH2 pillar bedded
Rem alloy BDL
Timney Calvin Elite @ 8oz
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins alloy 34mm low rings
S&B PMII 3-20×50 MTC/LT
Vortex lo pro level

There are a few more ounces to be lost here. Flute bolt-1oz, alloy bolt shroud-2oz, carbon fiber bolt knob-2oz

I would definitely go with the Hawkins BDL since that is what the stock is cut for.

I would go with 7RM myself with the 1:9". Run a 180 Hybrid, 180 HVLD, 175 Elite, 175 ELD-X, 175 NABLR, etc. @ 2950-3000+, and it is plenty for 1000 yard elk if you put the bullet where it needs to go. Had similar results at 882 yards on bull elk too.

180 Hyb @ 2996fps @ 806 yards

180 Hyb @ 2996fps @ 662 yards

Exit

Last edited:
It seems your going to be putting some rounds down range learning with this rifle so I would suggest not building a 28 Nosler, it's not a conducive chambering to learning, it has a lot of HP but you need throat life when starting out and the 28 or anything at that level will eat the throat. With that barrel I'd look at the 7 SAUM, 7 SS, 7 MAX, or 7 Mag and run a 175 Berger, this lets you get some life out of a barrel and learn while being able to extend your range and still have the HP to taco something.

Went through the same process several years ago wanting a "do it all" western rifle and had Hill Country Rifles build it in 7mm STW, still shoots .34" at 100 yards (although I can't remember the last time I shot at paper 100 yds away). If I had to do it all over again right now, would probably go with 28 Nosler, but the STW has killed everything from pronghorn to elk with authority.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.