Custom rifle cost going to the moon , when does it end ?

Did you really think that I was claiming a one hole M1 Carbine and a rifle called a Gunslinger Extreme Terminator?

This whole idea of a "custom" goes over 97% the heads of those who have posted in this thread. A Savage with a Criterion barrel attached isn't a 'custom', a Rem 700 with an after market trigger isn't a custom, either. Those are a "Mercury Comet with mag wheels". The offerings by Gunwerks and the others like them I would call "Limited Editions", much like ordering a car or truck. Ya' you can pick the color and the chambering you want (within limits!), but your choices are limited. I can't hardly consider a "custom" to be an assembly of off the shelf parts, either. There will be some, who go to Lowes or Home Depot and by their kitchen cabinets there and call them 'custom', even though there are 10,000 others just like them. A 'custom' rifle has had some serious alterations and/or additions made that make it one of a kind , and there won't be another just like it to be bought, anywhere. Is it accurate? You're darned right it is! Was it made to suit the guy paying for it? You're darned right it was!

This whole idea of a "custom" goes over 97% the heads of those who have posted in this thread. A Savage with a Criterion barrel attached isn't a 'custom', a Rem 700 with an after market trigger isn't a custom, either. Those are a "Mercury Comet with mag wheels". The offerings by Gunwerks and the others like them I would call "Limited Editions", much like ordering a car or truck. Ya' you can pick the color and the chambering you want (within limits!), but your choices are limited. I can't hardly consider a "custom" to be an assembly of off the shelf parts, either. There will be some, who go to Lowes or Home Depot and by their kitchen cabinets there and call them 'custom', even though there are 10,000 others just like them. A 'custom' rifle has had some serious alterations and/or additions made that make it one of a kind , and there won't be another just like it to be bought, anywhere. Is it accurate? You're darned right it is! Was it made to suit the guy paying for it? You're darned right it was!

A gunsmith assembled rifle with parts sourced elsewhere is sort of a custom. No one here is talking about a bespoke Holland and Holland double rifle.

Well we aren't, but considering this post was originally made about a 12k dollar custom dangerous game rifle it is pretty relevant to a holland and holland or Rigby repeater

Well we aren't, but considering this post was originally made about a 12k dollar custom dangerous game rifle it is pretty relevant to a holland and holland or Rigby repeater

Good point. Got lost from the original post. Nice Wahoo by the way.

A gunsmith assembled rifle with parts sourced elsewhere is sort of a custom. No one here is talking about a bespoke Holland and Holland double rifle.
I think you need to visit Guns International to see what a Holland & Holland costs these days. $12,000 won't hardly touch one, but that might make a down payment on a bespoke gun. You might call a gunsmith assembled rifle a 'semi-custom', but really, there's not much to assembling 'parts' where someone else made the stock (McMillan, H-S, whatever) and the barreled action and trigger guard "drop-in" and there are pillars already installed. Work like that is basically metal work (chambering, truing, etc). And then you have gun that the only difference might be is the color and the cartridge it's chambered for, oh, you might have a Trigger Tech and another has a Jewell.. Ain't a whole lot of make-up on parts unless you're buying quantity, and even then it's not much many times.

Ok then. 10 shots. The shot in the red was the first and i moved up so i would have something to shoot at. 20 shots next i spose. The point I wanted to say is that even though it's 3 shots, the thing only cost $650. $4500 to cut that in half---not really worth it to me. I don't compete except with myself and I'm not trying to impress anybody.

Attachments

• 20191218_170806.jpg
    20191218_170806.jpg
    925.9 KB · Views: 100
Ok then. 10 shots. The shot in the red was the first and i moved up so i would have something to shoot at. 20 shots next i spose. The point I wanted to say is that even though it's 3 shots, the thing only cost $650. $4500 to cut that in half---not really worth it to me. I don't compete except with myself and I'm not trying to impress anybody.

But it ain't no $8 billion gun, good sir. So it doesn't count.

I think that is incredible. I would be amazed if 4500.00 would cut that group at all. Probably would shoot worse. I am currently working up a Sako A7 270 Win that I paid 600 dollars for new last Saturday. I bought a scope for it and gave it to a friend. Now trying to get it to shoot like your RUM. Just finished loading 130 ttsx's with H4350. First outing at .050" off got me in the .75" range at 100y. Now trying several near max loads at up to .125" off. Hoping the TTSX bullets will do as advertised and like a long jump. Not sure I can get near the lands with magazine length but have not tried yet. Had to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor M+ magazine for my son's Tikka Compact 7mm-08 In order to get near the lands. Am sure there are many 7-08 loads that like a jump but there was no point in being limited if did not have to be. There is no longer magazine option that I know of for the Sako. Got the little Tikka shooting close to .5" with little work. It likes Varget and the 120 TTSX. Factory rifles can and often do outshoot fancy semi customs. I like and own 2 semi custom rifles but do not think they are the only route to great shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.