Custom Rifle Cartridge Choice

Well, I guess that I'm old school because my mind immediately went to something different than most. First of all, it would be something in a 6.5 or 25 caliber ( I'm a long time quarter bore fan ), and second, I would picture in my mind a beautifully grained piece of wood ( yes, wood ) perfectly hand fitted around the selected barrel. It would be a work of art that functioned in perfect harmony with my body and eye to achieve it's intended .5moa goal. Just me fantasizing.

I recently built the exact rifle you're talking about. 26" barrel, brake, exactly 9lbs scoped, capable at 800 yards. I went with 6.5 SAUM.
20210328_215126.jpg

I was thinking of a fun subject to discuss. Let's say you have a chance to buy a custom hunting rifle that is broken in, has a load developed for it, and has less than 300 shots on it, what cartridge would you want? This rifle will basically be an all around hunting rifle, capable of shots out to 800+ yards. It will not be fancy or built for a specific role. The rifle will weigh less than 10lbs scoped, have a 26" barrel, muzzlebrake, and built with high quality components. If ammo and reloading components weren't an issue, what chambering would you want? Thanks!
My favorite part of getting a new chambering is breaking in the barrel and doing load development so my next new to me chamber will be a new barrel for an existing receiver or maybe a medium length action. 338 Sherman Short.

I was thinking of a fun subject to discuss. Let's say you have a chance to buy a custom hunting rifle that is broken in, has a load developed for it, and has less than 300 shots on it, what cartridge would you want? This rifle will basically be an all around hunting rifle, capable of shots out to 800+ yards. It will not be fancy or built for a specific role. The rifle will weigh less than 10lbs scoped, have a 26" barrel, muzzlebrake, and built with high quality components. If ammo and reloading components weren't an issue, what chambering would you want? Thanks!
That's easy for me. I'm all in on the 28 nosler. I now own two and I can't see me changing anytime soon.

7mm Mashburn Super Magnum, l am building it at the moment, but mine will be a lot heavier, Defiance Deviant Tactical Action, 30" bull barrel, Burdekin Plum timber stock etc.
Best of luck with your endeavour, sounds like fun.

7 STW

300 H&H

300 WinMag

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.