Custom Rifle Builder Question

No love for GA PRECISION?

I have a GA Precision Templar Hunter 300 Win Mag. Fantastic rifle! I've also had other GAP built rifles, along with several from Phoenix Custom Rifles, LRI, and Accurate Ordnance. I think this thread shows that there are many good rifle builders out there. When I picked up my latest custom from Brad at PCR a few months ago (Bighorn TL3), he said when he got into building rifles, he thought making an accurate rifle was going to be the hard part. According to him that was the easy part. Making a rifle feed reliably is much harder than making one shoot little groups (specifically magazine fed rifles). He went on to explain why in more detail, but the bottom line is that there are lots of good gunsmiths. It's pretty easy to find info on the bad ones as word spreads quickly on the internet.

Ok so let's throw price out the window for starters if you could only have One and only One custom rifle builder to build you a custom hunting rifle who would it be ?

Thanks,
Danny
Your question is intriguing, and it could use a little more detail.

What will the rifle be used for? If you are going to hunt N American large Game at distances beyond 400 yards, I would have a good firearm builder put together a SAKO action with .300 Weatherby cartridge. The .300 Wby can be loaded down with a 150 grain bullet and all the way up with a 180 grain bullet. I know there are 220 grain bullets out there, however, the ballistics of the 180 grain most often provide better trajectory and hydrostatic shocking out to 800 yards.

If you would like to varmint hunt! I would use a SAKO action mated to the .257 Wby cartridge. Fantastic, ray gun like trajectories, with great energy. There are considerable number of projectile weight and designs that will cover prairie dog to Elk.

If you feel you would like more power that the .257 Wby, go with the Wby 6.5-300. It does out perform the Creedmore, by a considerable amount.

There are considerable combinations of powder and bullet weight combinations for reloading for both calibers. I have, and will, harvest Elk at 700 plus yards with my .300 Wby with a single shot. My wife has harvested Deer and Caribou at distances beyond 400 yards with her .257 Wby, usually with a single shot.

Then again, my collection is mostly Weatherby factory built firearms, however I have a few ME-TOO Wby chambered firearms.

I think responses to this will show bullet caliber and hardware can be an emotional based decision. I have been shooting since 1956, with most things from a .22 to .308, 30-06, 270, 7.7 Japanese etc and I have found I can do everything I need and want do with a Weatherby.

I have had excellent results with McWhorter rifles! I own three of them now a 300 RUM a 6.5/257 wby. mag. and a 6.5x47 Lapua. All three are extremely accurate. Customer support and service are second to none. My 300 is 10 yrs old and even though I've been chasing the lands a bit for the last several years it still shoots .5 MOA! Give Allan a call, you wont be dissapointed

I like this question... Kind of like going to an AA meeting... Hi my names sbruni and I'm a custom riflaholic. I have (or in a couple cases have had):
5 - Jarret's
5 - Bansner's
2 - Mcwhorters
1.5 - Gunwerks (one on order)
1 - Brown Precision
3 - Tumbleweed Customs (Mark Pharr)
1 - Mcmillan

For a classic or light weight hunting rifle with great balance and the best fit and finish out there Mark Bansner is my go to guy.

Jarret makes awesome barrels and a fine rifle but is a bit limited on experience and twist rates if you want to shoot heavy for caliber bullets... started building laser beam, beanfield guns before rangefinders were a dime a dozen and tend to continue with that theme.

Mcwhorter does make a pretty fine product as well. have been pretty impressed with their finishes the past couple of years.

Mark Pharr is that extremely talented local guy that no one knows exists and you hope it stays that way... so don't tell anyone... he's been a smith and a shooter for ever and knows how to build accurate rifles. In his spare time he shoots for the Lapua team and is one of the best silhouette shooters on the continent... Hard to hate a guy who can ping steel with annoying regularity off hand at 600-700 yards.

Gunwerks is pretty much TBD for me but I'm excited about their new stock geometry and the thought that went into it. The 7LRM I have was a custom they built years ago on a 700 action. shoots great with my handloads but not too exciting with their stock ammo.

Not sure McMillan or Brown precision really exist any more

Ok so let's throw price out the window for starters if you could only have One and only One custom rifle builder to build you a custom hunting rifle who would it be ?

Thanks,
Danny
I build on military surplus. Mauser, Springfield and Enfield actions. You should see my garage. If it was me I would go 30-06 AI on a 98 Mauser action with a 26" barrel and a Boyd's laminate stock. The best of American and German engineering.

Dead Down Range, LLC Montana.
built me a 28 nosler w impeccable machine work and a 1/8 MOA performance. Did load development and has a barnes and a berger in the same hole and 5" difference at 1k yrds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.