Custom Rifle Build-Ruger?

Chuck Boyer

I have a Ruger 77 .270 lightweight rifle with the thin 20" barrel. The gun is the old tang safety model. It does not shoot that well and I am considering rebarrelling the action. Since I have never played with any of the 6.5 calibers, I am opting for a 6.5x55. My gunsmith is recommeding a 9" twist. All I will hunt with this gun is deer size animals. My main inquiry is why don't you see more rebarrel or semi-custom guns built on Ruger actions? Be honest whats up with the Ruger action. This will be a hunting gun, not a benchrest or F-class gun. Would I be better off selling the Ruger and buying a CZ or Tikka to satisfy my 6.5 craving?

I have a Ruger 77 .270 lightweight rifle with the thin 20" barrel. The gun is the old tang safety model. It does not shoot that well and I am considering rebarrelling the action. Since I have never played with any of the 6.5 calibers, I am opting for a 6.5x55. My gunsmith is recommeding a 9" twist. All I will hunt with this gun is deer size animals. My main inquiry is why don't you see more rebarrel or semi-custom guns built on Ruger actions? Be honest whats up with the Ruger action. This will be a hunting gun, not a benchrest or F-class gun. Would I be better off selling the Ruger and buying a CZ or Tikka to satisfy my 6.5 craving?

Here's my "custom" Ruger:

TXantelope2008.jpg

I would not intentionally buy a Ruger for a custom build. One reason you don't see more used for a custom platform is because the action isn't as easy to work with. And, the folks at Ruger must have been smokin some nourishing herb to decide and put a screw in at an angle. But, it is a strong action and will work.

My rifle has had a #1 Hart bbl on it for several years now. It was my first rifle to take game about 20+ years ago so I wasn't going to part with it. I've killed more animals with it than all of my other rifles combined. I shot the antelope at 200 yards with the 110 TTSX/H4350. It is currently a designated Barnes bullet rifle.

My rifle shoots sub moa with many loads. But, I probably won't take a shot over 500 yards with this particular rifle. Good luck with your decision. Since you have the rifle already, you can make it into a real shooter. But if you are up for buying a CZ or Tikka in lieu of doing something with the Ruger, the go for it.

Derek, NICE goat

Rugers may not be my first choice, but they can still make a fine rifle, I have 2 in the shop now for rebarrels. I have seen and shot some very accurate ruger rifles both factory and customs. The trick is to know some tricks.

Thank you Jim. I don't know what he'll score but he's my best pronghorn to date. You are correct by posting that you need to know some tricks with the Ruger. But, the fact is, this rifle will print multiple 3 shot groups inside of 5/8".

With my limitations I've set for it, it is just as good as any other rifle I own. It's never ever failed me. I'd say from the picture on your website (308 Ruger), that there's nothing wrong with the accuracy!

g009_308Match_tg01.jpg

Last edited:
ruger makes my favorite action these days. i just like the way it feels. The only reasons i know that people stay away from them is because the front floorplate screw makes for limited stock and bedding availability... and, ruger has about the worst accuracy guarantee in the world... 1.5" at 50 yds.

That being said, they are a great place for a build, but i won't recommend them for out of the box rifles to be left stock. Good luck with your ruger build... If not, I would choose cz over tikka.

Texas

Howdy Chuck,

I basically asked the same question a while back in this thread...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/ruger-m77-action-build-33427/

That rifle has some sentimental value to me and I hope to rebarrel it someday. Right now, it's in a case where it will stay until Ihave the funds and motivation to get it worked on. I will probably get it rechambered to one of the shorter action rounds so the mag can hold the cartridges.

Chears,

-MR

From a precision gunsmithing stand point, the Ruger receivers pose some issues when building on them. The old style is better then the new MkII for accurizing of the receiver because you can remove the trigger frame and it will fit in the accurizing fixtures. The new M77 MkII has the permanent trigger frame and will not fit in the fixtures.

These receivers are also very hard and not terribly easy to machine. Certainly not a problem if your using quality carbide or coated carbide cutting tools but they are harder to machine then say a Rem 700 or Savage.

I personally like the Ruger receivers. As far as function, I prefer the newer M77 MkII. For a general big game hunting rifle they work very well and as mentioned, they can make a very accurate rifle as well.

I have several of the Ruger M77MkII varmint rifles that I have rebarreled. My current to are in 22-250 AI and 22-6mm AI and both are easily 1/2 moa rifles.

One limiting factor with the Ruger receivers is length. They can be converted to long actions but its a lot of work. I built a 358 STA for my brother several years ago and it functioned perfectly well and also shot very well but again, its alot of work to convert them.

Without this conversion, your limited to standard length chamberings, not a huge deal as you can get very impressive performance out of this size cases especially using those such as the Dakota rounds and the new Ruger magnum and its wildcats based on it.

Bedded of these receivers is a bit tricky but not a real problem once you have done a few of them and they generally really respond to a propper bedding job just as most flat bottom receivers do.

There are plenty of stocks available for these receivers and there are pretty decent aftermarket triggers as well.

The Ruger M77s do not make my short list for preferred receivers for a precision rifle but they do work and can make a quality rifle for sure. THey make a hell of a general big game rifle and as mentioned already, they are extremely strong for a mauser based receiver. That said, I would never convert one to a Lapua class chambering.

Bedded of these receivers is a bit tricky but not a real problem once you have done a few of them and they generally really respond to a propper bedding job just as most flat bottom receivers do.

I can attest to this. Years ago, the first work I had done to my Ruger 270 was a trigger job to 3#, bedding, and a muzzle brake. (It was cheap for me since I worked in the gun store, and I had never experienced a brake, so I thought I'd try one, though it wasn't needed).

The bedding job turned that factory rifle that shot 2" groups into 1" groups with the same ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.