Custom Rifle Advice.

jdm5267

I am looking to change my hunting setup a little bit as it will not satisfy all of my needs. My current rig is a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 7mm WSM topped with a 5-25x52 Swarovski. I enjoy this setup very much and it has the capability to reach much further than I care to shoot. I have strecthed this rifle as far as 618yds while harvesting a Boone and Crockett caliber Pronghorn. My main reason for switching this setup is that it really isn't an all around caliber and is a little on the heavy side. I would not shoot anything larger than deer with it at any type of distance beyond two hundred yards. Also I'm a fan of the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw loaded by Federal. This round is not available for the 7mm wsm and although it is still available the 7mm wsm is getting harder to find everywhere I go. I figure that a 300 wsm topped with the scope from my current rifle will satisfy all of my hunting needs except for the largest animals in the world, while not shredding deer and antelope to pieces. Essentially I am looking for a rifle light enough to chase sheep all day ( hopefully in the future) and still have the stones to handle Alaska-Yukon Moose ( also hopefully in the future)

My mother currently shoots a Bansner because factory rifles simply wouldn't fit her. This rifle has served her flawlessly for the last 7 or 8 years inculding trips to New Zealand and long shots a elk and mule deer. Considering this and given their location not very far from my home they seem like a logical choice.

I am "cheap" and meticulous in that I only want to do this once. So I am looking for any advice or feedback from anyone willing to give it out so I make the "right" choice. I want this rifle to last at least my lifetime, which is a good long while since I am only 22 years old.

I do not have the time or resources to make or load my own ammo so I am looking only for something that is factory available.

I thank everyone in advance for any advice you can give me and I welcome any questions you have to help find my need better.

P.S. I don't know how many people are aware of this, but firearms are only covered by insurance up to around $2500. If anyone here is like me they have that wrapped up in just one gun. Just something to think about, feel free to contact me about this as well.

How about a laminated Tikka T3 in 300wsm. They are supposed to shoot really well and the laminated stock will add a bit of mass to keep recoil down while being an awesome accuracy package.

Stu.

In My opinion the 300 WSM is not any better that the 7 WSM so I would recomend something
a little larger for an all round rifle,

The 7 mm STW is a step up in 7mm and the 300 RUM is about the best all round cartrige
with factory ammo and a good selection of custom bullets in factory ammo.

You can make the rifle lighter and have a muzzle break installed and it will be very tame
even with big bullets (For Moose and bears).

If I were only allowed to own 1 rifle this would be my choice because it is not to big for
deer size game, but big enough for any north American game,

J E CUSTOM

I think you are making the right choice going with a 300 WSM. The 300 wsm has very good accuracy and is all the cartridge you will need to hunt whitetails or most any other big game. And it won't beat you to death either. I have built many 300 WSM rifles for my customers and I shoot one myself. Don't get caught up in that big gun hype. You don't need a bazooka to kill a deer. If I were to buy a factory rifle I would look at the Remington 700 or a Savage Rifle. Either rifle will suit your needs. I have a customer that shoots a 300 wsm and takes a bull elk with a one shot kill every year he goes. Hope this helps.

RICHARD HILTS
HILTS ACCURACY
CUSTOM RIFLES

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.