Custom Rifle, .338wm, Factory NP 250GR

Raven23TST

I have a .338 wm, trued action, bedded McMillian Stock, Shilen Match, ect. Mark 4 scope.

I'm going on my 60th round of Federal Premium 250 Gr Nosler Partitions. Basically I'm shooting 1 to 1.5 MOA. With no pattern to tell you about. I'm kind of married to the bullet because I am going Grizzly hunting in 4 weeks, and the terminal ballistics are what I want. Please save the passive aggressive remarks and just assume all constants equal, when helping me answer this- Is it possible with a factory produced hunting cartridge to shoot 1.25 MOA if the rifle is capable of shooting .5 MOA? I'm at a point where I need to make some decisions pretty quickly, its just a matter if I start chasing loads or chasing mechanics of the rifle. I sincerely appreciate any advice you can give me.

Factory ammo is a complete roll of the dice it absolutely can shoot sub moa and has very little to do with accuracy potential of the rifle in my opinion. If you happen to find an accurate factory round it is purely coincidental that the rounds ballistics fit your barrel harmonic accuracy node. I would bet your rifle is good to go just gonna have to find a brand that hits the node.

with factory mag loads I find it hard to get past the flinch factor. I have found that with reloading I can get up to and sometimes beyond posted factory velosities without haveing my flinch factor ruin what I find to be sub moa. Just my opinion mind you there are some excellent factory offerings out there

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.