Custom receiver?

fmajor

As i'm slowly processing a new build probably in .338 RUM (for LR elk/bear/moose), i'm interested in pricing a custom action.

I've seen one of the LRH Sponsors (former maybe?), Bighorn Arms, and wondered if anyone has tried one of their receivers.

I've also seen alot of folks using the following receivers (in no particular order):

Nesika's (excellent?)
Lawtons (not sure?)
Bordens (excellent?)
Surgeons (excellent?)
Stillers (very good?)
B.A.T. (excellent?)
Phoenix/Defiance Arms (excellent?)

Which of these actions would *you* choose? Why that one?

I've not read anyone using the Bighorn Arms offerings and they *seem* to have a high quality offering and a competitive/reasonable price.

I know this is a Chevy/Dodge/Ford kinda question, but i'm walking blind here....

Thanks,

frank

Last edited:
I wouldn't be afraid to go with any you listed.
I do lilke the new Defiance actions. The all one piece bolt is a plus.

I believe the least expensive is the Lawton.
Kelbley also has a new 700 clone out.
There is a writeup in last months Precision shooting magazine on the Bighorn.
It has a floating bolthead like the Savage if that trips your trigger.

James

As i'm slowly processing a new build probably in .338 RUM (for LR elk/bear/moose), i'm interested in pricing a custom action.

I've seen one of the LRH Sponsors (former maybe?), Bighorn Arms, and wondered if anyone has tried one of their receivers.

I've also seen alot of folks using the following receivers (in no particular order):

Nesika's (excellent?)
Lawtons (not sure?)
Bordens (excellent?)
Surgeons (excellent?)
Stillers (very good?)
B.A.T. (excellent?)
Phoenix/Defiance Arms (excellent?)

Which of these actions would *you* choose? Why that one?

I've not read anyone using the Bighorn Arms offerings and they *seem* to have a high quality offering and a competitive/reasonable price.

I know this is a Chevy/Dodge/Ford kinda question, but i'm walking blind here....

Thanks,

frank

If it were me I would look for one with the footprint of a remington because so many after
market parts will fit it. Stocks, Triggers,Scope basses, floor metal,Magazine's,ETC.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I don't know any thing about the Bighorn. The Lawton is the only action you listed that I would not use at the present time due to the number of quality control issues as of late. I agree the Stiller is very good and probably the best bang for your buck. I used the BAT HRPIC to build my 338AX . The BAT is excellent. All the others you listed are excellent and I would build on any of them. It will come down to what you want to spend, single shot or repeater, weight etc. All have different models and you should discuss with your smith exactly what you want to build and spend which will make your action selection much easier to narrow down. I do agree with your ratings of the actions in general and really with them it is just personal preference.

Dan

Thanks guys!!!

I tried to find the Bighorn Arms article in Precision Shooting, but no dice - can access only their featured article of the month.

Also, thanks for the 'heads up' on Lawton - i've been similarly advised by a prominent 'smith much the same.

I'm trying to find that balance between affordability and excellence - a very sharp edge, but am thankful for your opinions that most of those i listed are performers.

If you've other suggestions, i'm all ears (well, eyes anyway...)

frank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.