Custom reamers. . .what is involved?

STEEL SLINGER

How does one go about having a custom reamer and go-gauge made? Basically, if someone has an idea of a wildcat case, how would it come to be from start to finish? And lets say that the idea you have, how would you know if there is already something out there like it and you could just ask for a copy of that reamer? I'm sure just about every cartridge out there has been improved upon in some fashion or form, just wondering on how to go about this process? Thank you.

How does one go about having a custom reamer and go-gauge made? Basically, if someone has an idea of a wildcat case, how would it come to be from start to finish? And lets say that the idea you have, how would you know if there is already something out there like it and you could just ask for a copy of that reamer? I'm sure just about every cartridge out there has been improved upon in some fashion or form, just wondering on how to go about this process? Thank you.

PTG can definitely help you. Dave has drawings of just about every conceivable cartridge configuration and can make you anything you want.

I've had a couple of them made. I downloaded a blank reamer print from the reamer mfg, filled in the blanks, sent it to them, and that made a reamer and gauge for me.

As for knowing if it has been done before, you are going to have to tell what you are wanting to do.

I've had a couple of them made. I downloaded a blank reamer print from the reamer mfg, filled in the blanks, sent it to them, and that made a reamer and gauge for me.

As for knowing if it has been done before, you are going to have to tell what you are wanting to do.

I looked at the Blank Reamer Print from PTG. . .WOW ! ! ! There are a lot of boxes to fill in with measurements and most of which I would not know how to get. Is it possible to fill out as much as you can and PTG help with the rest? I know what parent case I would like to use along with length, head dia., behind the shoulder dia., shoulder angle, neck length, neck dia. and what bullet I would like to use for this cartridge. And then there is the rest of the measurements. . .??? I've read on several threads here that the guys at PTG are pretty good to work with, could I give them a call with my basics and they walk me through the rest? Thanks again.

I'm not sure what PTG will do for you. I expect they would help you fill in the blanks. If you know those things you listed, the rest of the stuff is easy to calculate.

I've read on several threads here that the guys at PTG are pretty good to work with, could I give them a call with my basics and they walk me through the rest? Thanks again.

Yes. Dave Kiff is the guy you need to talk to. He can be a bit tough to get hold of since he stays busy, but between e-mail and phone calls you'll eventually get him. I'm sure that if you tell him what you want then he can talk you through it.

Enough is enough...you are going to have to tell us what you are considering! We might be able to suggest some modifications or inexpensive ways to make the cartridge without expensive custom dies.

If it is possible to make a dummy round including the bullet seated as you want it, touching the lands or perhaps with a certain amount of freebore, it is as simple as sending in the dummy with a few notes to PT & G with NO working drawing!

I sometimes banter some ideas back and forth with Dave then make the dummy.

Come now tell us what you have in mind.

Thanks

Ross

I have thought about some different custom setups, and was impressed that so far, they have all been thought up in the past (many years ago) and tested. This saved me a lot of money and work.

In the meantime, step one is figuring out if it already exists. Here are some ways I used to search for this:

Midwayusa.com. They have a lot of options for reloading, so one resource is to look at the reloading dies there. They list 11K offerings, including 5K "obscure" ones.

Rifle Reloading Dies | Dies - Reloading | Reloading Supplies

You can use this to search by increasing caliber size until you find something interesting / or not.

Similar things can be done by searching Graf and sons.

Wikipedia is an excellent resource for finding calibers. For example, suppose you are interested in something based off of the .375 H&H belted magnum. The article shows a variety (not all) of the daughter cases from it. From there, you can check each daughter case and see some examples of what was made from it.

Similar things can be done with other cases, like the 303, 222, 250 savage, large weatherby's, etc.

There are web sites like reloaders nest, snipershide, etc. that cover a lot of ground with wildcats and reloading.

The software program quickload has built into it a huge number of cartridge / bullet combinations. It is under $200, and might be an interesting resource if you are serious about spending the money for a rifle, reamer, cartridge, etc.

Another method is to do bing or google searches. Example, supposed you are interested in a 338 diameter bullet from a 378 Weatherby cartridge. A lot of them are as simple as 338-378 or 338/378.

The two ideas I had (which were also thought of long ago) were 6mm-224 Weatherby and 375 Taylor. It took a little time to find them, but since they exist, at least some other people thought they were interesting as well.

PTG has a LOT of common reamers - sort of mind boggling actually. Here is a link that shows a page - just click on the caliber range you are curious about.

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/reamers2.htm#micrormrstop

Harry N,

Good sources for ideas. I think the OP has one in mind already. Was hoping he would share.

I have a 375 Taylor and it is very easy to make. The redding FL die set was a bit pricey at just over $100 IIRC. Fun to shoot rifle with reduced or maxed out loads.

STEEL SLINGER, if you tell me what you're kickin around I can draw it up for you & help with reamer print(if new needed).

Thank you all for the advice and help offered on this idea. . .I didn't think there would be such interest - LOL. As far as what I have been concocting, it goes a little like this;

Parent case, 7mm RUM. 40* IMP. with shoulders blown out to .538 and a long .355 case neck with appropriate throat/lead to support the 190gr. VLD pills.

PROS (IMHO) - better case life, more stability to hold the bullet in the case neck and out of the boiler room and possibly better throat protection.

CONS - case forming/prepping

Is this going to be a significant improvement over existing cartridges. . . not really sure, yet. But it looks good on paper and IMP cartridges sure do look sexy ! ! ! :D

lightbulb lightbulb lightbulb All still in the "IDEA MODE though. lightbulb lightbulb lightbulb

Thanks for sharing. According to various reports, you should get longer throat life with the vortex of gases inside the case over the 7 RUM.

I have never moved a shoulder back to lengthen the neck. There have to be some specialized dies to get you there. Sounds like a fun project to keep your mind sharp.

Who's brass will you use? Dies?

Getting the reamer specs dialed in will most likely be the easiest step.

Now that you let the cat out of the bag I hope others will talk it up and perhaps give you some alternatives.

Be sure to share what happens with us!

Ross

That would be a simple case form project. I think you can do it with a single die. Just changing the shoulder angle will get almost all of the neck length you want. It will still need fire formed and probably neck turned.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts