Custom Reamers, Dies, and possibly Bullets

North90Bucks

Hey Guys,

We're thinking about starting a line of custom products. We have a carbide company in western Pennsylvania and are thinking about getting into the custom accuracy business. Please let me know what you guys think. We could use all the advice you can give. Feel free to email me. [email protected]

Thanks Tim

Hey Guys,

We're thinking about starting a line of custom products. We have a carbide company in western Pennsylvania and are thinking about getting into the custom accuracy business. Please let me know what you guys think. We could use all the advice you can give. Feel free to email me. [email protected]

Thanks Tim

Your best research will be to look at the competition.
ask yourself;
Can I build the product better and more efficient than my competitor?
Do I have a means to Market my product directly to the end user?
Can I afford to offer better pricing initialy, in the process of increasing market share and reputation?
Is the market for my product large enough to sustain long term manufacture?

If yes to all 4 go for it.

Tim,

I think it's a great idea, especially the bullets. Right now IMO there is a big hole for a good LR hunting bullet that is accurate, has a high BC, and is a reliable effctive killer.

The best bullet in the 30 cal range is by far the GS HV 177, but it is hard to get and very spendy...

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

I think you should study these bullets and if you can come up with an equivilant of the 177 in each cal and sell them for a reasonable price you would be swamped. The 177 works in a 1:10 twist (borederline) which is a standard .308 cal twist If you could also come up with say a 190 with AN even higher BC of .7 or higher that worked in an 8 or 9 twist. that would be real popular too.

The GS 177 bullets, get better velocity, have a high BC, and expand down to 1600 fps, and are very effective killers.

You might give this thread a good read...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/solid-bullet-debate-43589/

Regards,

Mark

If your making bullets.... did you make the bullet dies? If you could make custom bullet forming dies that could be delivered in a reasonable time and at a lower cost than say, Corbin I think that would work. When I looked into making 30 cal or larger bullets the entry cost is huge.

We are a carbide company we have been in business for 18 years. We make all our own dies reamers everything.

I think if you make a product as good as the best out there for a better price or faster turnaround then you will do fine. The alternative is a better product for the same or slightly more money. Then the question is can you make a better reamer than PT&G or better dies than Wilson? Better bullets than Berger or some other the other custom makers. If you can do either of those then by all means dive in! Competition in the marketplace is great for consumers and great for advancing the state of the art. The downside is some folks are going to lose their @55 in the process.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.