Custom pig rifle

Porker

Hello all,

Having sleepless nights on putting a custom together for pig hunting. I'll specify the requirements and give insight with regards to my current battery, hopefully you can assist with some ideas on which caliber I should consider.

The rifle will only be ordered once I relocate to OZ from South Africa. There is still some time to mull this over and make an informed decission with the help from all you experts out there! I have never had a custom made, and this is a first and most likely the last due to a sufficiency in my battery. I have a Win pre-64 in .270 (too heavy), AR15 (can't take it), Win 22 hornet (piglets only), Win mod. 88 in.308 (too heavy), Win in XTR BB 375win. (open sights, short range), Franchi 12g semi (can't take it)

ok ...

1) Broadly based on the feel/weight/handling of a Remington model 7. Had one in hand, and loved the weight, feel and speed of this rifle.
2) Left hand bolt in stainless.
3) Must be enough gun for big pig's through the shield at meduim/long range out to 250 yards.
4) Recoil manageable with a good limbsaver.
5) Commercial cartridge or lesser known ..within reason reloadable cost effectively.
6) Not considering anything under .270
7) Flat shooter out to 300 yards.
8) Also handy at short range with the scope power down.

I'm very mindfull of the fact that a handy custom will become the favourite and result in the rest of my rifles staying home. This I want to prevent, if possible. The set-up must be pig- specific to ensure I stick to my other 30 cal's for deer etc. I'm also not giving you any insight as to which calibers I have in mind, as to not influence your decision.

If I left out any requirements which could assist with your reply, let me know...

Thanks!

thanks Shooter... hog hunter is right hand only, but was considering the Savage "weather warrior" LH in stainless...

ICANHIT feels same, which bullet weight for flat longer shots with enough punch?

Well since you are going to OZ, you could use the 35 Sambar which is popular down there. Its a 300 WSM necked up to take a .35 caliber bullet about 2700 fps with a 250 gr bullet. Or you can go with an old stand by the 9.3x62 been around for quite sometime and dooes a good job all around.

thanks Shooter... hog hunter is right hand only, but was considering the Savage "weather warrior" LH in stainless...

ICANHIT feels same, which bullet weight for flat longer shots with enough punch?

Well you said 250 yards, what do you consider a long shot? You want to kill hogs so I would go with a Barnes bullet, I like the 200g ttsx.

I love the medium bores and was thinking along the lines of 338 to 35 cal. Only concern is that the platform is a handy and lighter rifle, almost like a remmy model 7. What type of recoil can I expect with that set up in 35 Sambar? My challenge has been too find a medium kicking cartridge with flat trajectory out to 300 yards max (thats my long shot). I believe the .338 frontal area is perfect for good knock down, but finding a flat shooter with reasonable recoil is a challenge in meduim bore lite rifles. My thinking was to go for a 210-225g bullet weight at 2600 fps ... so possibly leaning for lite for caliber bullets with the benefit of bigger frontal area than a 30 cal, but reasonable on the shoulder.

Anyone downloaded the 338 win mag with 210g bullets? Whats the recoil and trajectory like? I'm sure a custom smith will be able to set up the rifle specifically for lite for cal. bullets in a 338 win mag. Like the idea of Barnes bullets.

I've loaded 180 Accubonds in 338 RUM to reduce recoil. Depends on the size hog your planning but works well on Antelope, and other light skinned game. As you move up in caliber recoil will also. The 35 Whelens, and 9.3's will all perform well enough. The 338 Winchester is the most obvious choice, factory ammo readily available. Hornady Superperformance 225 comes in an Interbond. 338 RCM is out there, as well as other short magnums.
How much weight does your Pre-64 have to lose to get the weight you want? Have you considered other stocks, optics, etc to get where you want to be?

If you can tame your 338RUM with downloads, i suppose the 338WM would be even easier. Remember, i'm looking at a left hand bolt action this time around. The pre-64 is RH bolt, stock standard. Was considering a lighter 270, as I possibly shoot that cal best of all my rifles. Mostly Springbuck in the Kalahari. What recoil can I expect from a 210g in 338WM loaded to 2700 fps?

Hog size would be the average Queensland hog, weight about 100kg. Extreme examples up to 160kg apparently. What is your view on the 260 Rem. or 6.5x55 swede on hogs that size?

Been using a 20" heavy barrel savage action with 308. Shooting 165 SST's with 44gr varget and have made several 2 for 1 shots on hogs here in TX. I put a illuminated Weaver on it and use solar lights for night time hunting in the hotter months. Works great!

Not to sure as to the recoil on the 35 Sambar but the 9.3x62 isn't bad at all. Not sure what you can find in a left hand bolt though.

I just read through this thread and quickly questioned why people are thinking about downloading 338 magnums when the 338 Federal is the commercially available. I built a 338 Federal rifle on a Sako Medium action, in a McMillian Sako Cassic Stock, with a 21" stainless sporter barrel that weighs 8 pounds scoped. The rifle literally handles and points like a shotgun with a 2.5x8 Leupold or an Aimpoint on top. The most accurate ammo that I have shot so far is the Federal 185 Barnes TSX. I havn't beat it yet with any handloads that I have tried. I guarantee minute of pig accuracy at your 250 yard distance.

I have done some pig hunting over dogs where the shooting goes from 15 feet to 100 yards. Based on what I have seen from the Barnes TSX's that I've recovered and weighed from my sandpile backstop, I think this is the perfect pig rifle/caliber/bullet combo. I'd change out between the Aimpoint and low powered optics, depending on the hunting conditions.

I don't see the merit in downloading a rifle weighing 1 to 2 pounds heavier when you can have a much quicker handling medium action rifle. Pigs are quick on their feet and your rifle needs to be too. That is if you are on the ground with them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.