Custom or savage action for long range hunt rifle?!

D

Deleted member 103481

Building a long range rifle for out west/any backcountry hunting trip I might can go on. Already have a savage 12 short action receiver I was initially planning on building. Planning on chambering in 7 Sherman short mag and shooting 195 Berger.

Overall plan is:
26 inch proof sendero
Manners eh1a carbon stock

In order to convert to magnum it's looking like I'll want to switch to dbm to get around finding a savage wsm blind mag/feeding issues with savage magazines. I'll also go to a ptg bolt head to run magnums, and need to address my firing pin. At this point I'd rather go ahead and get a ptg fluted bolt since that seems to be a good general fit and feel upgrade.

Biggest question here is at this point I'm already buying bottom metal, and I'm putting 200-300 dollars into this savage action. Wondering if I should just build a more budget oriented practice gun in 6.5 creed or 6.5 lapua and spend the extra money for a Curtis custom axiom for the hunting rifle I will depend on. I'm already putting 800 in each for stock and barrel and worried I'm holding myself back from a complete custom I'll love forever with the savage action.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Savage Model 12s only hold 2 short mag rounds. That's with a DBM or detachable magazine. Also, they really need a large shank action for WSM cartridges. Seems the small shank actions just didn't allow enough mass around the WSM case to satisfy Savage. Never heard of a small shank one coming apart and you hear of guys doing it, but ya never know.

I would love to have an Axiom! I think every guy should own one super nice rifle. IMO use the Savage for a tack driving practice rig and have an Axion on those dream hunts.

Can't comment on the Savage action or cartridge but I recently had my first full custom built. It was between a trued Remington 700 and a custom action. I went with a Stiller tac 30 in the end. It didn't cost that much more once you factored in all the features and the work that would have to be done. So I'd say go custom action and get exactly what you want instead of regretting it later on. Buy once, cry once. A lot cheaper to get what you want to begin with vs. trying to change it out or upgrade later on. Just my opinion though.

The Savage Model 12s only hold 2 short mag rounds. That's with a DBM or detachable magazine. Also, they really need a large shank action for WSM cartridges. Seems the small shank actions just didn't allow enough mass around the WSM case to satisfy Savage. Never heard of a small shank one coming apart and you hear of guys doing it, but ya never know.

I would love to have an Axiom! I think every guy should own one super nice rifle. IMO use the Savage for a tack driving practice rig and have an Axion on those dream hunts.

He could do a shouldered barrel install on the Savage. Not sure if he could get the bugnut system on a proof barrel, but both of those options would negate the lack of meat around the shank. At that point though I would definitely consider going with a custom though, especially if it's your "dream rifle". And this is coming from a Savage fan.

Seems to be a pretty solid consensus to make the savage into a nice practice rig, and get a custom action for an all out build.

Pretty exciting because this means I get to build 2 rifles!

Bolt_sm.jpg

I sure like the looks of the Sharp Shooter Supply bolt body. This one is in my 264wm.

https://www.sharpshootersupply.com/BoltParts.html

For $80 it looks good! I get a lot of comments when people see it.

Last edited:
Thanks all, those Pierce actions look slick. I'm pretty sure I am going with the Curtis Custom Axiom, I've spoken pretty extensively with Joel and like what I've seen.

For what its worth, I have two Savage rifles and they are both accurate enough to get the job done. They are very accurate, not benchrest quality, but good. With that said, I don't dream about hunting with them. I bought a Model 70 featherweight for that reason alone and yeah both of my Savages will shoot circles around the featherweight!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.