Custom or off the Shelf

Smokeless shoot amazingly well. If you want to use one in place of a rifle in the general season, they are the way to go. But, if you want to use them in the mzl season, very few states that the are legal. I contemplated this a year ago.

That...………. is not entirely correct.

Just because a rifle may be smokeless rated, does not mean that it won't shoot black powder or any black powder substitute. And they are more accurate using BP or BPS than mass produced production rifles.

Now granted, in some states that remain with archaic laws, they may not be able to be used even with BP because they may be have caliber restrictions, or a bolt action, or in other words, not a side hammer. However, there are actually very few states where a custom rifle, using BP or BPS would not legal during dedicated muzzleloader seasons.

Read and follow your rifle's owners manual. Always.

That...………. is not entirely correct.

Just because a rifle may be smokeless rated, does not mean that it won't shoot black powder or any black powder substitute. And they are more accurate using BP or BPS than mass produced production rifles.

Now granted, in some states that remain with archaic laws, they may not be able to be used even with BP because they may be have caliber restrictions, or a bolt action, or in other words, not a side hammer. However, there are actually very few states where a custom rifle, using BP or BPS would not legal during dedicated muzzleloader seasons.

Read and follow your rifle's owners manual. Always.
I didn't say to buy a factory black powder mzl. Let me clear this up for you. Buying a .45 caliber smokeless mzl leaves you with very limited states where you can use it during the mzl season. The laws are what they are!

I didn't say to buy a factory black powder mzl. Let me clear this up for you. Buying a .45 caliber smokeless mzl leaves you with very limited states where you can use it during the mzl season. The laws are what they are!
Again................. your statement in bold above is not totally correct.... Unless a state/s, such as CO and just a couple other western states, have caliber restrictions, such as .50cal minimum for certain game species (elk, moose etc.). Or, restrictions requiring exposed ignition source.

I'll try to clear this up for you ............. If you own a 45cal smokeless muzzleloader........ YOU DO NOT have to shoot just smokeless propellant. Do not confuse the word "smokeless" as meaning that a smokeless rated rifle is ONLY capable of using smokeless propellant.

You can shoot BLACK POWDER, PYRODEX, TRIPLE 7, BH209, or any of the other substitutes and be within the law in all states that allow 45cal rifles during their muzzleloader seasons.
(exception: paragraph 1, min caliber restrictions, exposed ignition)

With a custom smokeless rifle you can use it with smokeless propellant in many states during their GENERAL FIREARM SEASON. (exception: some states do not have rifle season or rifle zones)
When the dedicated muzzleloader season comes, switch to BP or BPS.

Just throwing it out there, but for states like Colorado, where I live and hunt, 200+ yard shots during muzzleloader season really isn't even in question or needed. Soft cow calling in my unit for example, you can bring them well under 75 yards, or in my case, 25-30 yards. I own one inline now and thats basically because that rifle was special to me. Will I hunt with it again? Probably not.

Every year I see guys all decked out in the newest, greatest camo, most "advanced inline muzzleloaders" only to be found riding their side by side or $60,000 pickups, up and down the roads, "hunting" :D :D

It's muzzleloader season, slow down, go in quietly, find yourself some cover and enjoy the hunt. It's not about lobbing a round down field at long distances, with unknown wind conditions at the target end.

I took this nice buck at 60 yards with a patched round ball. For elk season, I now have to use a conical per the rule change. It shoots a hand cast 395gr lyman plains bullet well under 2" at 100 yards, which is great for open sights.

I do get my share of odd looks when those guys pass me by on the road, but guess what? My clothing is super quiet, especially the soft soled moccasins. You won't hear me crunching around in hollow sounding boots. #1 reason I love the soft soled mocs is that it FORCES you to slow down and pay attention. I'll walk up on game in black timber and they won't even know im there or are just stunned because they rarely see something like me in the woods. Wearing camo with the required 500 sq inches of blaze orange, also kinda defeats the purpose of camo.

No silly scent covers, no new " best of the best " crap. Just keeping it simple, comfortable and QUIET. I never had this kind of hunting success until I ditched the modern stuff and went the traditional route. I know some think its a handicap way of hunting, but its not. It's a big advantage.

Its different hunting in many other parts of the country. Some areas are just filled with nothing but 5 to 20 acre parcels, where a quick harvest is an absolute MUST. Neighbors are not friendly with one another when it comes to hunting in some places. Need I mention all the PETA folks? State and public land in the east....Looks like a pumpkin patch, or worse.
Others hunt over nothing but HUGE agricultural fields, where moccasins will do you virtually no good what so ever unless they keep your feet warm, and where long range shots to harvest are generally the rule, rather than the exception. Sneaking up on a mid-west whitetail in a picked bean field is next to impossible, especially when you won't see them until MAYBE five minutes before dark, or legal shooting hours end.

Just because a hunter uses a custom rifle, doesn't mean he or she, can't hunt by stalking, sneaking, or any other method. It doesn't mean that he or she, has to take shots beyond 40yds. What a custom will do, is give you an opportunity that most production rifles can not do.

Idaho is one the "so called" archaic states. Black powder weapons enjoy generous seasons and the best times as with archery. But you will be hunting with a primitive rifle. I understand the reasoning and appreciate the sentiment. Gamers will always push the limits and Lord knows I've been in that camp. But show up with a smokeless "muzzle loader" in Idaho don't expect any sympathy when you get caught. BTW we call 20 acres a front yard.

In PA you still have to use a flintlock during the regular muzzleloader season. For the longest time it had to be a patched round ball too. And you have to have open sights. No peep sights allowed. Now we have a week of muzzleloader that you can use an inline with scopes but you can only shoot does.
Shep

I can do it with BP at 10', or I can do it at 500yds (attached target) with the same SML rifle.

IMG_1980.JPG

Thought I'd bring this thread back up. I ended purchasing a rifle from Luke at Arrowhead. It's a great setup and has been 1/2 moa out to 300 yards so far. His system made the learning curve super short and the data was spot on. Now it just needs to draw blood! Thanks again for the comments and help.

Luke is a great guy. I use all his ignition systems and they have been flawless. His bullets are very accurate and kill like crazy. One of my customers killed a 200 in whitetail this yr. with the one I built him. The hole out is impressive.
Shep

I use Luke's ignition system in a Brux sendero contour 1-20" twist and his XLD 300 with 4198 or BH 209 depending where I hunt with fantastic results
And I never had an exit like that wow

Adding to the pile on this one...

Had my first season with a smokeless muzzleloader this year. My rifle is a savage action with a Hankins Custom conversion barrel. Built it myself for less than $2k all in. It's a great shooting rifle! I had to use BH 209 since I'm in New Mexico, but I was still getting 2430fps with my higher velocity accuracy load.

I killed a big NM mule deer and 4 whitetail does in Oklahoma. The Arrowhead 300xld does some serious damage. DO NOT AIM FOR BONE!

PXL_20201027_210623604.jpg
PXL_20201026_215308689.jpg
PXL_20201026_215635913.jpg

I'm 100% sold on this setup. Just don't aim for bone. Lol.

I'm completely new to the muzzleloader game. My interest is the tag possibilities it opens up with draw odds and more favorable hunt dates.
What do I want? A custom or a off the shelf rifle. Budget is pretty much wide open. I've seen some of these long range setups but really don't know what's legal or not. I know in Oregon none of it is...which I could care less about. I'm thinking more UT, NV, NM, AZ, ID, or CO.
New Mexico will require a flintlock or percussion cap, open sights, plus black powder or pryrodex. I use a 54 cal. Hawkin throwing 425 grain great plains slugs for elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.