Custom or off the Shelf

Onstep

I'm completely new to the muzzleloader game. My interest is the tag possibilities it opens up with draw odds and more favorable hunt dates.
What do I want? A custom or a off the shelf rifle. Budget is pretty much wide open. I've seen some of these long range setups but really don't know what's legal or not. I know in Oregon none of it is...which I could care less about. I'm thinking more UT, NV, NM, AZ, ID, or CO.

I'm not real familiar with the ML laws in any of those states. My lone exception is that Colorado does not allow scopes. Open sights only.

I'm completely new to the muzzleloader game. My interest is the tag possibilities it opens up with draw odds and more favorable hunt dates.
What do I want? A custom or a off the shelf rifle. Budget is pretty much wide open. I've seen some of these long range setups but really don't know what's legal or not. I know in Oregon none of it is...which I could care less about. I'm thinking more UT, NV, NM, AZ, ID, or CO.
Research each of those states laws, which can vary greatly. Most all laws differ from CO.

"If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"

There are many high quality custom builders, that can build you a rifle that's more accurate than most are capable of shooting. You won't get the quality of a custom in a shelf rifle.

Who are the better custom builders to look at?
You need to know that the rifles the following builders are not off the shelf rifles. If your intent is to go custom, make that call... NOW. I'm not saying that a builder may not have a build, but the chances are highly unlikely.
Arrowhead rifles may have converted Remington Ultimate conversion packages that are currently available.

Gary Bush at: https://www.facebook.com/mtcustomsl..._context_item_source=100023828263873&fref=tag

Hollis Weber at: https://www.facebook.com/centerpunc...eline_context_item_source=1406524654&fref=tag

I used Bestill Creations LLC owned by Jeff Fisk. As I currently understand it, Jeff is booked up completely.

You need to know that the rifles the following builders are not off the shelf rifles. If your intent is to go custom, make that call... NOW. I'm not saying that a builder may not have a build, but the chances are highly unlikely.
Arrowhead rifles may have converted Remington Ultimate conversion packages that are currently available.

Gary Bush at: https://www.facebook.com/mtcustomsl..._context_item_source=100023828263873&fref=tag

Hollis Weber at: https://www.facebook.com/centerpunc...eline_context_item_source=1406524654&fref=tag

I used Bestill Creations LLC owned by Jeff Fisk. As I currently understand it, Jeff is booked up completely.

Encore, this is excellent thank you! Making some calls today.

Encore, this is excellent thank you! Making some calls today.
Well good luck in your choice. The sky is the limit with any custom rifle, which are not cheap in the first place. Explain completely to the builders EXACTLY what your expectations are. They can't read minds LOL Listen closely to their recommendations and suggestions after you've explained what you're looking for and you're intentions in the long run.

Any of the builders I listed are top and excellent builders and I'd be proud to own a rifle that any of them built.
Just a couple things...…….. Scopes! For goodness sakes, put quality optics on your rifle. High quality mounts and rings. They are the main thing controlling accuracy that is mechanical.
I highly recommend a muzzle brake. The builders will handle that, along with a load through funnel. They will provide you with a thread protector also, just in case you don't want to use the brake.

Idaho's general season hunts you can use any firearm...
Be it c.f. rifle or mzldr.....but draw a mzldr tag and you are subject to "that season" alone.....
I hung general deer..muley then whitetail....been rifle kills so far....and have had my mzldr with me on a couple hikes but no animals......one day....it will draw blood...

I have been extremely happy with my Remington 700 Ultimate with Arrowhead breech plug. I upgraded the trigger, had the metal Cerakoted black, and swapped out the stock for a McMillan.

I've been building smokeless muzzleloaders for guys around me with breech plugs from Arrowhead. Arrowhead makes some nice parts and their bullets shoot fantastic also. 300 grain bullets at 2750 really puts a smackdown on the game. And no stink and no rust in barrels. And if you have to you can still use black powder substitute for states that don't allow smokeless. Get a really strong scope they kick hard even with brakes on them.
Shep

Go the custom smokeless route. The earlier posts mention some great builders. There's absolutely no comparison to the energy and accuracy these guns generate compared to conventional muzzleloaders. U won't be sorry.

Smokeless shoot amazingly well. If you want to use one in place of a rifle in the general season, they are the way to go. But, if you want to use them in the mzl season, very few states that the are legal. I contemplated this a year ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.