Custom On Kimber 84M Action

2buffalo

I have found an older thread on this but was curious if anyone here has done it. I have a Kimber 84M 300 WSM I am thinking about rebarreling and fitting up with a CF stock. Would like to here if anyone has done this or mo someone who has. Also would you neef to go with a Wyatts for the mag for longer bullets? She has seen her better days but I really like the action. Thank in advance.

I, too, really like Kimber Montanas. I have had a few accurized, which included truing the action and replacing the barrel. I've been very happy with the final results.

On one, I had the factory stock swapped out for a McMillan's Hunter's Edge stock. Based on that experience, I would not do a stock swap, again. There is nothing wrong with the McMillan stock, but the Kimber factory stock is already super nice, and you gain little-to-nothing with a custom replacement. JMHO.

Here's my Kimber Montana in .300WSM with a 26" Bartlein barrel (with the factory stock).

Last edited:
Did you have issues with the McMillan? The reason I ask is mine has a wood stock and want to go to CF stock and possibly a CF barrel. My guess is the McMillan stock doesn't come with Kimber inlet? I let a friend borrow it but I believe I misstated the action type once I looked it up. It must be a 8400 wsm since it's a 300 WSM. I am going to be getting in touch with a smith to start picking his brain but figured I would start here. Hard to believe nobody had done it before.

I just got the gun back from the 'smith with the McMillan stock, and have not shot it, yet. Its nice, but feels heavy, to me. It was not a drop in. I had a gunsmith do the work for me, which was done very well, BTW.

IMO, the whole thing about the Kimber is lightweight. Anything that deviates from that ruins the Kimber "gestalt," and you might as well have bought something else. A Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather comes to mind, which is not a downgrade, just different.

Nice. Post some pictures if you have time. I agree with the light weight comment.

Here's the re-worked Kimber Montana. It is now a 6.5 Weatherby RPM with a McMillan stock and a medium contour barrel. It is very nice, but came out heavier than I expected.

The gunsmith put a quick load together with 130gn Hammer Hunters, just to be sure it was shooting well before releasing the gun to me. Not sure where the errant 22-250 round came from.

Last edited:
I have a Kimber Super America that is waiting on a new barrel. Not really a custom, just a new barrel and tune up. Went from 308 OEM barrel to 24 inch 6.5 Creedmoor. Hoping it doesn't come out too heavy.

If you go with the same contour, you will pick up some weight going from a .308" bore to a .264" (6.5mm) bore. I am not sure by how much, or whether it is enough to make much of a difference.

Last edited:
Yes and 2 inches longer should put a few ounces forward. The barrel should show up in the next month or so since it was ordered in February so will find out soon.

I have found an older thread on this but was curious if anyone here has done it. I have a Kimber 84M 300 WSM I am thinking about rebarreling and fitting up with a CF stock. Would like to here if anyone has done this or mo someone who has. Also would you neef to go with a Wyatts for the mag for longer bullets? She has seen her better days but I really like the action. Thank in advance.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, the 84M is for rounds with .473 case heads. The WSM would maybe a different action, thinking it's a 8400 perhaps

As for a rebarrel job I did a 22/250 off a 84M with a Lilja. They have a barrel contour that was designed by Darrik at Whittakers. Basically it follows the inlet of the stock to the end of forend then it tapers out to .62" at the muzzle.

It gives the rifle a darn nice weight forward feel!

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, the 84M is for rounds with .473 case heads. The WSM would maybe a different action, thinking it's a 8400 perhaps

As for a rebarrel job I did a 22/250 off a 84M with a Lilja. They have a barrel contour that was designed by Darrik at Whittakers. Basically it follows the inlet of the stock to the end of forend then it tapers out to .62" at the muzzle.

It gives the rifle a darn nice weight forward feel!
Yeah I clarified in post #3 it is a 8400. A friend of mine has it and I realized my mistake after posting. I would really like to put a CF barrel and stock on it.