custom neck die for 22-243 imp 35 degree sholder go collet or not?

reed mosser

I have a custom 22-243 with a 35 degree sholder and was thinking of having lee make a custom collet die for me. I want to know if these dies are as good as the bushing dies. I don't want to buy any thing twice. I rather get the best the first time. I hear both good and bad tings with the collet dies and would appreciate any info? I interested in constiant neck tension and low extreme spreads. Thanks for any info

Neil Jones of Custom Produsts www.neiljones.com makes a pretty nice bushing type shoulder bumping die also a seater they run about $200 a set but with his bushing set up you could use those dies for a 260,308,243AI,etc. Jim Cartensen (563) 689-6258 is another custom die maker. I'd sure give those guys a call. I haven't use the Lee collet dies so cann't comment. I've got Neils dies for my 17machIV thru 30-378 and the odd ball stuff like 30x44,30x47,30IHMSA,7x47AI and 6brshortentalldog some of those have 30,37 and 40 degree shoulders. I've got one set of his forming dies also. I think you right buy the good ones first was about 20yrs ago got hooked up with Neils dies. Well good luck

I have a 22-243AI (40deg). I use a Redding Comp bushing neck die for .243AI and just use the appropiate bushing for my tight neck. It produces very consistent ammo.

Isn't the 22-243AI (35deg) the Middlestead variant? If so there are production dies available from Redding and probably a few others.

Just a thought - VH

I looked and there isn't any I can find. I have a comp seater and full length sizing die already. I just want to have a neck sizing die that I can control the neck tension. I looked on lee website and they said for $50 and about 3 months they could make me a collets die set. I thought that was very good price. I might give the collet a try. I just bought some redding comp bushing dies also so I will have to compare the two. Thanks for input

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.