custom LT reamer vs sammi followed by throating reamer

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by jlvandersnick, Nov 7, 2018.

1. jlvandersnick

jlvandersnick Well-Known Member

I feel like I already know the answer but want some validation.

Wanting to build a lights out 28.....with a long throat (.280 ish free bore).

I've got a several smiths here in MT (who want the work) that act like there is no difference between using a custom reamer that already has the aforementioned free bore ....vs.... using a sammi spec reamer and then going back in with a throating reamer to extend the throat.

2. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

I can be done well both ways but one pass leaves less room for error. (Concentricity)

Gord0 likes this.
  3. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

Can be accomplished either way. Using a sperate throating reamer requires more skill. When throating longer on a new chamber it is best (IMO) to cut and headspace the chamber then extend the throat using the same removable pilot and the same holder, just swap out the 7/16" head for the 1/4" head.

4. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

I would order the reamer to the specs you want.

5. WeiserBucks

WeiserBucks Well-Known Member

Throating after the fact is an afterthought, do it right the first time.

rfurman24 likes this.
  6. shortgrass

You would be "doing it right the first time" when you throat in the same set-up, using the same removable reamer pilot and the same tool holder, just changing out the head on the holder from 7/16" to 1/4" for the throating reamer shank. It's not "an after thought", then. It becomes part of the plan. Just requires finer machining skills.

7. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

I know of one Gunsmith that does it most of the time. He cuts the chamber, the neck, and the throat in three separate steps. I suspect there are others that do the same.

8. highdrum

highdrum Well-Known Member

Tyler @ dead down range has a reamer specific for the 180 eld-m/195 Berger as bearing surface bto lengths are similar. My friends rifle he built shoots lights out to over a mile, even with my shaky shooting. Running 3080fps with 80.6 gr Retumbo in nosler brass, 215m primers. Tyler isn't cheap at all, but builds a good rifle. The most economical way to get a great rifle from arguably the best 28 builder, is Ryan Pierce @ piercision rifles. 3500$ get a manners/kelbly/brux/bixnandy setup that's guaranteed to shoot. Most are 0.33 moa from the looks of it.

9. shortgrass

A 'smith can "run himself ragged" cataloging reamers in his tool draws with every 'special' some clients think they want. Not much of a secret really, for building a rifle that shoots "lights out". Just care and skill in the build process. Now, if the client wants to supply the reamer, that is up to him. Just check with the 'smith first as there are some makers of reamers that are just not worth using. As a guy that has been machining for 40+ yrs, and has a diploma from a 2 year gunsmithing program and been chambering and throating for 26+ yrs., there is a difference in reamer makers.

10. Chad Schmidt

Chad Schmidt Member

+1 for buying the reamer you want.
    Chad