Custom LR rifle or AR-10?

goebs66

Hey guys, so I'm inTerested in a new project for myself. I want to build a custom LR rifle in 243 or 260 or build a custom ar-10 in 6.5 Creedmor. I'm trying to figure out what would be cheaper? Anyone have recommendations to get started?

Will that really answer my question? No one has ever custom made both and could compare specs and. Costs?

In my opinion the AR-10 will cost you more but will allow for some pretty quick follow ups. Why not build the 6.5 on a bolt gun and have the best of both worlds? I think the 6.5 is the cartridge of my choice in this situation.

I think the cost of either platform is largely dependent on the choice of components, but the AR is likely going to cost more gven the stock and barrel's were of equivalent value. A decent AR receiver will cost more than a decent bolt receiver.You could get a good idea comparing the price of the Remington R25 to a Sendaro, roughly $1500 vs $1000, a good quideline. My guess would be 30-50% more with a good build.IMO.

I think a bolt would be the best choice due to the fact that there is no "standard" AR-10 platform.

I shoot a DPMS LR308 GII that I bought complete of coarse and after reading all of the AR platform forums around the web, the non standard of the AR-10 is pretty confusing.

What will and what won't work for the AR-10 platform you choose to purchase will take some careful time and research to do it right the first time.

I really enjoy my 308 and I believe if the proper time and research is done the AR-10 would do it well.

Good luck with either platform.

You can build a 6.5 Grendel on an AR-15 platform and get close to the AR-10 performance. This would keep costs down a little. I priced it out at around 1600-1800 dollars for a good AR-15 build in 6.5 Grendel but ended up getting an awesome deal on a POF 308. The Ar will likely cost more. Shooting a semi auto gas gun is different than a bolt gun and takes some getting used to. An AR platform has a different cheek weld and it takes some learning if you want it to be precision.

Unless you're in a DMR position, the AR-10 type rifles are going to cost you ALOT of money to feed, especially if you use good components, or good quality factory ammo...And that's for the cheaper caliber options. Price out some good .260 Rem or 7mm-08 ammo... You're looking at $35+ per box of 20. That's one magazine.

For true precision, go for the bolt-gun. And this is coming from a guy who owns an LWRC M6. Not that it's not accurate, because it is surgically accurate, but it is too expensive to shoot for fun these days, and it's only a 5.56. I haven't shot it in over a year, and that was only once, in the last 2.5 years. When I bought it brand new, Fed Lake City XM193F was only $3.79 a box (20)... That means it cost $5.69 to load a 30 round mag... But now that it costs almost $8.00 a box (20), it costs you $12.00 per 30-round mag. And that's just for 5.56....Imagine loading a whole box of .260 Rem, 6.5 Creed, 7mm-08, .308 Win, or 6mmBR ammo into it would cost for a drawn-out mag dump that lasts less than 2 minutes...

Bolt guns are also inherently more accurate due to less moving parts, tighter tolerances (because it has less moving parts), and it only single-feeds.

I had a AR-10 in 260 built last year. Bought a DPMS in 260 sold everything in front of upper receiver. Bought a 22" Bartline 1X8.5 6.5 off the net. Had a gunsmith install the barrel, adjustable gas block, brake and JP trigger. Put a JP handguard on it and used the A2 stock to save money. Wasn't happy with trigger, so I started massaging it and after taking it apart and reinstalling it half a dozen times now breaks very clean at 2 LBS. Shooting Norma 130's at 2810 fps. Was getting cratered primers, so installed a Rubbercity Armory high preassure bolt. I used a JP scope mount with a Bushnell 3.5-21 DMR. It regularly shoots less than 1/2 MOA 3-shot groups at 200-400 yards. From pricing it out in my head from memory I have between $2700-$2900 for the full kit.

I plan to also make it a left side, side charger with reciprocating bolt knob.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.