Custom gunsmith recommendation

Kirby Allen-Top Notch. Reasonable prices and pretty flexible. He Built a 338 Allen Express with a Bat action, Krieger barrel, Jewell trigger, 3 port Allen muzzle brake, Night Force scope and custom curly maple stock by Joel Russo. If you need a quality gunsmith Kirby's the guy, custom stock Joel the guy or Kirby if your going with off the shelve stock.

Im a big fan of Alamo precision rifles.

As said above building a great rifle is one thing but building a relationship based on great customer service and standing behind your product is what it's about.
I'll share two stories from group builds from the past.

First was a 240 weebee. Robert measured the runout on a new barrel and while within spec he saw something he didn't like just at the edge of the chamberarea. He called and told me he could leave it as is, could cut an inch off the barrel or order a new one which would mean a 3 week delay. I took the new barrel.

Second was a 7rm with constant vertical stringing. After I was satisfied it wasn't me, the scope or ammo I sent it back. He returned it a week later with a new and upgraded barrel.

Both rifles are .5moa to 600 yards.

My current favorite in the stable is a 30 nosler built on a tenacity action, with a muller barrel ag stock and vx6. Running 230s at 2950 with h1k.

I've consistently shot in the. 3moa range at 300 and .3-.5moa to 600.

Here's something different I did last week as I know it shoots good groups. I fired 1 shot at 200-600 mainly to save time. Plus if it's dial and shoot to kill the 1st shot is all important. I measured each single impact

Attachments

• 20201112_163128.jpg
    20201112_163128.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 20201112_163144.jpg
    20201112_163144.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 20201112_163208.jpg
    20201112_163208.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20201112_163248.jpg
    20201112_163248.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20201112_163228.jpg
    20201112_163228.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 20201112_153417.jpg
    20201112_153417.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 160
Check out HS Precision out of Rapid City, SD. Guaranteed 1/2" MOA and if you're a veteran they have a very nice discount.

Hi folks,

Long time lurker here. I hunt out west in NE and am looking at a custom build.

Thinking of going with predator action and a carbon wrapped barrel.

Any recommendations?

Thank you

TS Customs in Miller, SD: Travis does awesome work.

Exodus Rifles. Joe is building very accurate rifles. I have several and all are very accurate.

Regardless of who you choose always ask to talk to his customers, those that are satisfied and unsatisfied with their work. Find out their refund, return and warranty policy. Ask about their turn around time.

I know a very good gunsmith who builds custom ARs. I've known him for years and I've never had a complaint. But others have and dislike his work.

So do your due diligence.

Can't say enough good about pierce engineering. They make all action in house and are top notch. I own a bunch of customs and between them and Kirby Allen those are my top two pics. I've been so pleased they have done 3 full carbon and titanium builds for me for ultra light packing rigs. By doing them out of ti I was able to keep all the best options such as barrel length and weight were I want it and still have a light rifle. Mine were kinda over the top so the cost was higher but they can do steel action and carbon barrel for a decent price and you wo t be disappointed.
But like stated lots of great builders on here
Thanks for the info.. do you have a contact you dealt with over there?

Thanks folks. I live in NC. Local isn't that important. I will check out the ones supplied.
Give Dan Glover (Dan's Custom Guns) a call at 919-604-1651. He is near Raleigh, NC and has built several guns for folks here including DonTrump, Jr.. He also advertises on this site. He also is a sponsor of this site.

Last edited:
A few recommendation for you:
Misery Custom Rifles- Goes by arrow on here, older thread attached for contact info. He build my 6x47 Lapua that is an absolute hammer.
View attachment 229646

Denny Powell-Powell Custom Rifles, San Patricio NM. He doesn't have a web page or social media. If you want his contact number pm me. 300 PRC
View attachment 229647
I will second recommending Denny Powell , he has done more than a few Guns for me all of them shoot he is reasonably priced and pretty quick as well, by far the best smith out of many I've used over the years

Hey Boys, Let's face it.. There are plenty of good Gunsmith's out there... He asked a question like what girl is the sexiest? Different strokes for different folks.. Everyone has a different opinion.. Pick one and get to shooting..
I personally use Dallas Lane .. I had to many bad outcomes with second rate want to be smith's .. If you follow this forum you can pick out the good builders.. and there are several. Just gotta pick.