Custom dies/fire forming/neck turning?

Alibiiv

Just received my rifles from the gunsmith. Ruger 77s, .270 Ackley Improved. Whidden wants three, fired cases to make the dies. I'd like the ability to neck turn the cases so no matter what brass I get I'll have that ability to do so. The question is do I resize the Nosler brass, turn the necks concentric, fire form, and then send the fire formed brass to Whidden? If this process is followed, what about neck tension, will the neck walls be too thin? Been reloading for years, however this is new territory for me.

Last edited:
the good news is that you can neck turn, short because the shoulder is moving out, but neck dia is not changing.
yes do everything to 3 cases and shoot each 3 times only neck sizing, then send them.
close to top end loads on firing 2/3 TO GET a good fire form

Thank you for the link. I called my gunsmith and asked for a copy of the blueprint, he told me that he'd had the reamer for many years and did not have a copy of the blueprint. So......we go back to plan "B", fireforming and sending three casings. I believe that this process will produce a better representation of what the rifle chamber is. I do not have any loading data for the cartridge because I cannot find a whole lot of information on the .270AI. The plan is to start with .270 Winchester load data and start working loads from there.

the good news is that you can neck turn, short because the shoulder is moving out, but neck dia is not changing.
yes do everything to 3 cases and shoot each 3 times only neck sizing, then send them.
close to top end loads on firing 2/3 TO GET a good fire form

After firing my first .270 Winchester rounds, the plan was going to be neck sizing using the .270WSM die (that I already have) so as not to resize the outside section of the casing where the angle of the casing intersects with the outside of the case back to .270 Winchester brass; .441 Winchester vs .538 for the .270WSM. I believe that by doing so I can pretty much chase that datum point where the case neck meets the angle of the casing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.