Custom Calls

Joel Russo

Thanks to my business partner, I've been inflicted with the predator hunting bug this year... I've spent a pile of money on new thermal equipment, almost finished with a dedicated coyote gun, and other stuff I bought along the way.

After my last trip to TX, I realized that I needed some hand calls. Never being one to settle for "off the shelf" stuff, I started doing some research on custom call makers. Spent a bunch of time on the Predator Masters Forum reading, reading, and reading some more. I decided to give Sean Eubanks, owner of Mangy Mutt Game calls, a call to see what he can do for me. He spent some time talking about all the options he offers in the different types of calls, and what he would recommend.

Being a custom stockmaker, I had quite a bit of nice cut off wood laying around. I boxed up a few pieces and sent them his way. We talked about finishes as I'm pretty anal about the finishing process. Sean usually does a CA hard gloss finish, but I wanted a more natural look. He ended up doing an oil/wax finish which I was extremely pleased with.

Sean's attention to detail is evident in his finished product, and we'll certainly be doing more business together.

Enjoy.....

Attachments

• calls.jpg
    calls.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 107
  • maplecall.jpg
    maplecall.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 107
  • chase.jpg
    chase.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 120
  • turkishcall.jpg
    turkishcall.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 93
I have these:

This call has a Turkish Walnut barrel with a Hippo Ivory bead, with an o-ring fitted Hippo Ivory mouthpiece, a Buffalo horn insert in and then Ivory inside of it to make an accent line.

12-9-12-8.jpg

12-9-12-9.jpg

DSC_0001-8.jpg
12-9-12-6.jpg

12-9-12r.gif

And these:
Stabilized Cottonwood burl. CA finshed inside and out. The lighter colored call is 3" over all and the darker colored call is 2-3/4".

IMG_4395.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

And this one:

A call made from Cholla Cactus, all the holes are filled and a tough CA finish on the call.

DSCF6137.jpg

DSCF6136.jpg

DSCF6135.jpg

DSCF6134.jpg

DSCF6133.jpg

DSCF6132.jpg

A couple others that I don't have pics for at the moment.

And a squirrel call, the one on top:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.