Custom built muzzy

Riverguy

I recently found out my local gunsmith is now building muzzleloaders. He does a great job on rifles so I've decided to go that way and not buy a paramount. It will be a 45 cal and i have a arrowhead breech plug for it. My smith likes brux barrels so will go with that. Also will be using a Remington action in a manners stock.
This is my first custom so i am asking if there are any do's and don'ts or ( if did it again i would do this instead) kind of things? Thanks

Don't skimp on anything. I HIGHLY SUGGEST the LR Customs T-Rex muzzle brake.
Go with a rail on the forearm instead of just sling studs.
I'd also recommend the magnetic bolt stop from Arrowhead.
HIGH QUALITY scope. Leupold VX5HD or even Nightforce.

Congratulations and good luck with your build.

He said he makes his own breaks so not sure how to handle that situation.?

I'm looking at putting a salmon river solutions arca+picatinny rail on the for end and a mini arca in the middle of the stock so will be set up for a tripod or a bipod.
1626088157683.png

I will look into the magnetic bolt stop. Never heard of it.

I do have a vx5hd already waiting for this build so that part is covered. Thanks

I know what I'd do when it came to the brake. I'd just tell him what you want and let him install it. There's all kinds of guys claiming to make good brakes when in reality they ain't worth the metal they're made of.

Here's an example of how well a T-Rex works. There's no weight on this sled.

Here's another example of an LR Customs muzzle brake on a 50cal BMg. The lady shooting this rifle is sending 600gr bullets and she's a very small lady.

The thing about brakes is that you can't use them if you are using sabots. Also, they make it difficult to index the bullets if you are using fully formed bullets. If you are using "bore rider" bullets, i.e. bullets that are sized to the ID of the bore and obturate to grab the rifling, then it doesn't matter.

If you have never used a smokeless muzzleloader before you are in for a steep learning curve, there is no more measuring the powder by volume, you have to measure by weight.

Hummmm............ you can shoot sabots with a brake if the brake is designed right, but why use sabots? If I were to continue to use sabots, I'd shoot a production rifle. Most guys are shooting smooth formed and you'll need a funnel with brakes.

I second LR Customs for anything muzzleloader related including the brakes! His rifle brakes are the best as well! Levi builds awesome custom muzzleloaders. If you want a true long range ML, he's the man!

The thing about brakes is that you can't use them if you are using sabots. Also, they make it difficult to index the bullets if you are using fully formed bullets. If you are using "bore rider" bullets, i.e. bullets that are sized to the ID of the bore and obturate to grab the rifling, then it doesn't matter.

If you have never used a smokeless muzzleloader before you are in for a steep learning curve, there is no more measuring the powder by volume, you have to measure by weight.
I have a bullet sizer die from a well known company so figuring on full size bullets. Arrowhead, fury, etc.

Blackhorn 209, no smokeless for now. Thanks

This stock was designed for the long-range hunter. Depending on the inlet, the standard weight with a ½" decel pad is 26 to 28 ounces. The EH1A comes standard with the KMW Terry Cross cheek hardware. The EH1A comes in around 2.7-2.9 lbs with a 1/2″ pad. The forend is 1.75" wide at the tip and rounded to a beaver tail that is flat and wide enough to accept a #7 / M24 barrel which is about 1.125″ diameter at the tip of the stock. The grip on the stock is more of a vertical, tactical style, longer than standard with a small palm swell and overall smaller grip than our MCS-T4 stock.
The bottom of the butt has a flat that is about ¾" wide and is true running with the sides of the stock. This allows it to ride very straight and true when using a rear bag. The EH1/EH1A is designed for Rem 700 style actions, but can be inletted for Savage short actions with the Savage BDL mini chassis and other actions. For a complete list, please check out our online stock builder »

My smith has this stock in black forest camo coming into his shop in about a month and is not spoken for yet. He said i could use it on this build if i want. The color of the stock is ok with me but is this a good choice or should i consider a different style? I'm not in a huge hurry, no possible hunt until fall of next year.

The one coming in is a EH 1.