Custom built 6.5 / 284

M_freeman

I want to have a custom built 6.5 / 284 built and I want to use the savage action as I foresee barrel changes and I think it will save a few dollars at that time. I will use this rifle for mountain hunting Mule deer and long shots so it must be light and accurate. I would prefer a fluted barrel over a pencil barrel and the absolute lightest stock that will still keep the rifle accurate. Want to be able to set the high BC VLD bullets to the lands. Question is which Savage action to start with? Any suggestions on a barrel and light stock?

Last edited:
Save yourself less barrel changes and go straight 284 WIN, necked up 6.5-284 brass.
A 162 gr Amax can dish out a whole lot of hurting power!

Shot a big billy goat(feral NZ) @ 1100 yrds on Saturday,witnessed BTW,punched straight through both shoulders, he reared up a few times and fell over.WICKED!!!

Keep on asking myself why I actually have a 338 LM :rolleyes:

Ive had a 6.5-284,in hinesight wished I gone straight to 284 now, would have been on same barrel, two seasons later.

300WSMMAD

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.