custom build

jtr1997

im planning on starting a custom build and am still undecided on the caliber. im thinking 264 win mag 6.5 284 norma 6.5 55, or 260 rem. i dont care about availability of factory ammo. also id like some ideas for barrels im planning on either rem 700 or winchester 70 action with a hinged floorplate. probably have it made for the 140 berger vlds which ever caliber i go with

What are you planning on doing with the rifle? Hunting, target, or both? How far do you plan on shooting it, and carrying it? Do you want to use a suppressor, brake, or nothing? What kind of performance do you want? Are you dead set on the 700 or 70? There are several custom actions that will fit the 700 footprint that are considerably better actions.

What are you planning on doing with the rifle? Hunting, target, or both? How far do you plan on shooting it, and carrying it? Do you want to use a suppressor, brake, or nothing? What kind of performance do you want? Are you dead set on the 700 or 70? There are several custom actions that will fit the 700 footprint that are considerably better actions.

I might use it for deer but i hunt deer and elk with a 300wsm so this is mainly for target and coyote/wolf. i want to shoot out to 1000 yards but moslty arounf 500-800. I am not set on actions but i will only do floorplate for seating bullets out to the lands. possible a brake most likely nothing those calibers wont kick hard i dont use only thing on my 7 pound with a scope 300 wsm

remington 700 history proof of its accuracy over the winchester 70. push feed is better for all cartrages than controled feed. 260 is a great choice. easy to make accurate. easy to get brass 243 308 7-08 260 lapua makes it also. can be purchased from lapua in large or small primer uses about 10 grains less powder than the 6.5 284 and 20 grains less then the 264 its not a belted round like the 264. can be loaded with 140 grain bullets to fit in short action where the others have to be a long action ( you can use 130 grain bullets in th 6.5- 284 in the short action but not the 140 grain wont fit ) if you get the bdl design remingion you can go with kwik klip conversion for about $100.00 vers. the other high doller detachable mags conversions. lots of aftermarket stuff for remington. next to nothing for winchester. dont get me wrong i collect per 64 70 winchesters but they are not shooters. there for investments. Barrel med. palma conture. fluted or not yes on muzzle brake with thread protector 26 to 28" best for performance 28" is best 30 is to long 1-8 twist 5 lands super match chrome molly or stainless no matter. and last from who pac-nor i have installed over 250 pacnor barrels and have had only one shoot over .5 moa and they replaced it for free and let me keep the old one. I have used them all and they are the best. they will build what ever I want even if I am smoking crack. I once had them build me a .40 cal 36" 1-12 twist polygon 1.300 straight no taper no questions asked or the 1-5 twist 6.5 5 lands 30 " long again no questions asked good luck

mark fox " bad *** gun works "

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.