Custom Build on the Howa Action

308Bronco

Hi all,
First of all grear site with lots of information! I have a question on the Howa actions. I have read that they are a copy of the Rem 700 and also have seen where they are compared to the Sako L46. My question is if they are worth messing around with or should I just stick to a Rem 700? My plan is to have a very accurate coyote/deer gun to play around with , as well as poke holes in paper at up to 700yds. As of right now this is the furthest I have access to shoot at. Sorry this is so long winded but I know this is the place to get my answers. Thanks in Advance.

The Howa actions are great to build on and in several ways I think that they are a better choice than a Rem 700

the action desgine is stiffer than the round Rem 700 its more along the lines of the Winchester or Mauser , the bolt handel if forged out of the bolt so their ALOT less chance of breaking it off , the extractor system is like the M-16 which is better than the Sako setup that most Rem 700 guys up grade to and for the most part most smiths don't even off making a m-16 conversion to the Rem.
The Howa action uses the same scope base as the Rem 700 so their alot of good bases around , the trigger can be adjusted down enough to get a good crisp , safe and reliable 1.5-2lb pull.

now the draw backs are that their arn't alot of stock inletted for these action , but I'm sure that joel Russo or Tom Manners would make you one. And the action threads are metric which might be a problem for your smith if his lathe doesen't cut metric threads but most of the bigger lathes that smiths use can be made to cut metric threades.
and if you ever plan on selling the gun the resale isin't gonna be nearly as high as the Rem or a custom action for that matter

In short if thats the action you have , it is the base for a great build.

Ironically, I wrote a program today for the CNC so that I could inlet stocks for the Howa action.

A buddy of mine wanted a 3" light gun stock for his custom rifle built on the Howa action.

He was happier than a pig in $$$$ when he saw it was a 100% drop in.

Everyone, Thanks for the input. It has answered a few of my many questions. As far as the metric threads, how does that work when I go to order the barrel? Will I need to tell the barrel guys that I need metric threads or do I set that up with the smith that I use? Second I'm wanting to build something a little differnt caliber wise such as a 6.5-284 or a .25 based on a 308 case. What are your thoughts on this?

You better tell your smith that your wanting a metric action threaded before you ship it to him ad he may not be setup to do it , if he wants to recut the action threads to american tell him no as it makes for a sloppy job unless you open the action tenno way up and I don't recomend that.

As for the cailiber choices , I know a guy that shot the 25-08 for years also called a 25 super , but he has since changed to a 243 Ackley. If your gonna be doing alot of varmint and deer hunting with the same gun I'd recomend the 260 Rem unless you have the long action then the 6.5-284 will give you another 100fps.
the 6.5mm bullet have a high BC so that helps them in the wind and at long range plus the 95gr V-max is a great varmint bullet. The 25 cals are somewhat limited in bullet selection

James, thank you for all your input with this topic. I thought that I'd thought this build out but now I am finding i need to do some more research. The action that I have is a short action .308 so I belive that rules out the 6.5-284. Oh well back to the drawing board!

Here is a Howa 1500 short in a MCS-T stock. We also do the Long action. This one has been modifyed with a Badger DM system.
S35001781.jpg

Yes the stock is the standard MCS-T. This is one of Peter lincolns ( of roedalerifles in germany ) guns. We send him the standard howa inlet with a modified badger btm inlet per his specs. He takes the standard Badger DM systems and modifies them for the Howa 1500. It is a real neat set up. Thank you Tom Manners

Pete, indexes the bottom metal off the back action screw, and then extends the front till it matches the bolt hole spacing. I think that he also clues it in.

why not go with the 260 AI? it will get you real close to the 6.5-284 speeds and ballistics with alot better barrel life. just a tought. huntinfool18

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.