Custom build for my Fiance

Good to hear your going with a break, it opens your choices up considerably. I would also take a look at the 7mm RUM.

If you reload consider a Remington model 7 in 7mm saum. They are discontinued and can be found at deep discounts. Recently got a stainless model with 22 in barrel for $400 brand new. Use the money you save and get it bedded,trigger adjusted,and a brake if needed. The 7mm saums recoil is on the light side for a 7 mag. This will give you a accurate ,light weight,and a gun very capable of extended range. Going by your description she sounds petite and I'm assuming not super tall. The light weight and fact that it has a 22 inch barrel means you can add a brake and the gun will not be overly long making it easy for her carry. The guns size should fit her well making it confortable for her to shoot. The way a gun fits the shooter can have a big impact at making a shot at any distance. Read about the 7mm saum it is a very impressive round . Hope this helps.

Dan

brake a .260 or 7-08 and only shoot to 7-800 yds to start with and also it will give her time to become used to a little more recoil , also if your going to tackle bigger game then you can always sneak a little closer until she's able to tolerate a larger calibre?

FYI i find the 140amax in my 260 absolutley fab and my god will it group at long range!

on the psycological side a 260/7-08 doesn't look vastly different from a .243 so that should reassure her a bit more than chambering a rum or something for that first shot with the new rifle!

+1 for tackb and check out the VLDs

If need more punch; then check out the 6.5x284.

Last edited:
Can't believe no one has mentioned 7mmWSM with a brake? Small person will have an easier time with a short action rifle.

While I too much prefer non-braked rifles, the top end of the range you are asking for and the inclusion of animals above deer (ie bear) makes it really a tough request to fulfill without going to a much higher level of recoil

If you are willing to stick to 800yds and eliminate bear from the equation, a 243AI or 6X47 Lapua running 115 DTACs would get you there.

I would go with a 6.5 WSM in about a 7 -7.5 rifle, put a limsaver recoil pad on it and you wont need a brake. If you're set on a brake, go 300 WSM or bigger. Why bother with anything smaller for hunting especially bear? No mtter what you choose, I would be real selective of LR shots on bears. Wouldn't want to be chasing and tracking a wounded one with the missus.

Good hunting,

Mark

By the time you practice enough to make a reasonable kill at a 1000yds. you will know what you need.

So you are saying your fiance is sitting around chatting with you and goes something like this.

Honey I have been dreaming of a rifle that I could kill a bear or an elk at 1000 yards. I am tired of doing it at 500 yards. I really want a challenge.

You- hey let me get on the internet and see what the guys say you need.

lol when I am with my woman she wants something other than a Carlos Hathcock rifle.... :)

Are you for real? Or just trying to start a thread?

Does your fiance have a sister?

Not sure what forums some members have been visiting but, here on LRH we try to play nice, be respectful and helpful. IMHO if one doesn't have something nice to say then it's best not to say it at all.

Well the beneficial part of Amaziah's post is that it recognizes that a woman may well have her own opinion of things. :D

To me the things that has not been touched on directly is "fit". This includes not only stock dimensions but overall length and balance and distribution of weight.

Distribution of weight is different than balance and gives a rifle or shotgun a whole different feel.

Iit appears to me that a lot of men think that if they paint the stock pink or turquoise that the enamel automatically cures fit problems.

I really think its a good idea to go with 7-08 with 168VLD and limit it to 800 yards as a start.

Another name for the 243 is 6-08. Skip 6.5-08 (260 Remington) on to 7-08 would be a good upgrade. They all use the parent 308 case, just different neck size.

Good luck on your choice.

I would go with a 6.5 WSM in about a 7 -7.5 rifle, put a limsaver recoil pad on it and you wont need a brake. If you're set on a brake, go 300 WSM or bigger. Why bother with anything smaller for hunting especially bear? No mtter what you choose, I would be real selective of LR shots on bears. Wouldn't want to be chasing and tracking a wounded one with the missus.

Good hunting,

Mark

I have to agree with MR. With a break you can tame a 300WSM down and make a very capable 1000yrd rifle. Use a 210grn (Berger, JLK, SMK) of some type or the 208 A-max and load it down to 2750fps- 2800fps and you will have a light recoiling rifle very capable of taking game at that distance. All of these bullets have a BC of .640+. Obviously making sure the rig fits the shooter should be priority number one.

My other suggestions would be the standard 284 Win. with a 168 Berger, 7mm WSM or SAUM (160 Nosler, 162 A-Max, 168 Berger, 175 SMK, 180 VLD), and the 270WSM with the 150 Berger at top velocity.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.