Custom build for a teenager?

Excuse me if this has already been mentioned, but I didn't read all 4 pages.

Savage makes a "light weight" series based on a standard model 10 action with as much metal removed as they felt prudent. They also make a "Lady Hunter" version. Common sense tells me that they should have a rifle with both the "Lady" stock, and the light weight barreled action, but if they don't, I'm sure you can get the parts together and combine them yourself, much cheaper than a custom rifle.

Not a bad way to go for a pretty decent little rifle that she can get some good use out of. Perhaps after some years have passed the two of you will want to put something else together, but by then she'll have some more field/life experience to help choose what she wants in a more specifically prioritized way. . . and you won't lose much at all if you choose to flip the Savage.

I like tikka actions they are smooth and light. I have a cooper 257 weatherby that is also what I consider light. 7lbish. You can brake a bigger caliber but I would think a 25-06 would be enough juice for her. Nothing else possibly a 270 or 7-08 if you want bigger holes. 308 is good but not as flat shooting if she isn't shooting distance.

You could go with the Thompson Center Contender or Encore platforms. They are perfect for developing her shooting by keeping the platform consistent, but changing barrels and calibers for the situation. They're super accurate, you just can't over drive them like a bolt gun.
They also make youth stocks for them. Know that e.a brown has them.

Remember, everything can be loaded down, but only loaded so high. I love the 243win, but if I only have one rifle, I'd go bigger. A 6.5cm/7-08 could be loaded down pretty low with light bullets and later heavy for caliber full loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.