Custom Barrel Care at 17X By Jim See

Thanks for this great article. I was indeed confused about barrel care as I am new into Long Range Shooting. I have seen no one else sum up the facts in such a logical way. Followed this advice in breaking in my Barrett MRAD and your advice worked to a tee. I am looking forward to years of good shooting.

Since last August, I have put about 1500 rounds through my 338 MRAD Lapua Magnum. I only clean after 200-300 rounds or when my accuracy starts to drop. Cleaning is a breeze ( I think due to break in mentioned in this article), using only 5-7 patches with BoreTech Eliminator cleaning both carbon and copper and patches are clean. No brushes-even nylon. Then I run 1 patch with a few drops of Kranoil and I'm done. Barrel still looks like new, but I don't have a bore scope. I do lube the bolt after every 2 sessions. Still shooting 1/2 MOA all day out to 1000 yds. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.