Custom Actions

embork

im interested in building from scratch. what is everybody's opinion. good,better best on custom actions. I was looking at the weatherby mark v TRR in 338-378. thinking I can build pretty close to the wby price. thanks for your opinion

I can agree that a Mark V Weatherby stainless is hard to beat as I have one in 30-378 wby mag and have taken countless whitetails with it and some at pretty good range. I love it and it is as strong as they come. I am however rebarreling it and restocking and accurizing it for the following reasons. The stock has never thrilled me. It fits ok but isn't anything special and to me does not enhance accuracy. All factory Weatherby's have a lot of free bore and as I am limited to the magazine for my hand loads I am unable to maximize the cartrige. The stock barrel is 26" and while accurate I am unable to achieve max potential with slow burning powders without a fireball at the muzzle. If You have a Weatherby Mark V it is hard to beat but can definately be improved on. If you don't own one and are starting from scratch why not go custom? JMHO

I have three customs built off Mark V actions, and they shoot just fine. Also have 3 Defiance, 2 Borden and a Stiller. For a 338-378, I think youd be best served with a Defiance. All that money for a stock and barrel, spend a little more and go Defiance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.