Custom Action or Factory 700 Rem. build up...

Dust270WSM

Just wondering what's yalls opinion. I work a 8 to 5 job so not got a bunch of money to throw out at one so trying to build a really good shooting rifle on a little bit of a budget. Budget being at $1500 to $2000.

Found a Rem.700 adl at Academy for $379 that seems like would be a great start but after blue printing the action and true in it up I will be another approx $250. Then getting the bolt fluted and a lug pinned I think it would be gettin close go $800. Still a little less than a lot of customs I priced but not much less.

And if a custom which one do yall rec. That's is affordable. I live like 30 minutes from Surgeon and would love to have one but they are like $1250 and that's a little outta my budget I think.

Trying to sell my X-Bolt right know in 7mmMag to do this build up but having a little trouble selling it. So as soon as I can move it I'm putting this into motion.

I reload and I have a Vortex Viper pst 6X24X50 I'm putting on it. So will just need to figure out...

Which Action...

Which stock...

Barrel thinking a Bartlien or kreiger..

Probably a BDL until I can afford bottom metal unless I go with a XLR chasis

Trigger will be a Jeweled.

Caliber will be a 7mmSTW I'm thinking anyways. Lol unless someone changes my mind.

By the time you add in the cost of the action and the smithing, you are sitting pretty close $650 in your blueprinted action. It should then operate and be as accurate as many custom actions.

However, one thing that I have noticed is that blueprinted Rem 700 actions don't seem to hold their resale value as well as custom actions - even those done by well-known smiths.

If you watch the 'Group Buy' section on other forums, you will occasionally find a GB for a custom action. You generally have to be willing to wait awhile, but they can be a great buy. For example, I just received a custom action through a GB that was offered last May. I should have had the action by August, but problems arose (pretty typical with GB). The total cost for the action was $750 - about $100 more than your estimate. However, for that additional $100 I got the following: SS receiver, PTG bolt with oversized bolt knob, fluted bolt and 20 moa rail. Plus the action itself is a custom action made to tighter tolerances. Resale value should hold up better.

In the end - either way you go will be fine. If you are looking to stretch your dollars, then you need to be patient and watch for the good deals to come along. Sometimes buying a gently used rig is the better way to go for your first time out. You can pick up some quality parts already assembled for much less than building one yourself.

I was in your position just a little while back - I ended up going with a Rem ADL package that I got for $400. Sold the barrel, scope, stock and trigger and I'm now into the action $275.

I think it'll work out great, but if I ever decided to sell it, I couldn't expect to get my money back. I think going with a Stiller Predator would be a great option. I'm not sure what you're looking to build, but here's a good priced package to get you started if it's a .30 cal.
Stiller Custom Package - Stiller Custom Actions

Just wondering what's yalls opinion. I work a 8 to 5 job so not got a bunch of money to throw out at one so trying to build a really good shooting rifle on a little bit of a budget. Budget being at $1500 to $2000.

Found a Rem.700 adl at Academy for $379 that seems like would be a great start but after blue printing the action and true in it up I will be another approx $250. Then getting the bolt fluted and a lug pinned I think it would be gettin close go $800. Still a little less than a lot of customs I priced but not much less.

And if a custom which one do yall rec. That's is affordable. I live like 30 minutes from Surgeon and would love to have one but they are like $1250 and that's a little outta my budget I think.

Trying to sell my X-Bolt right know in 7mmMag to do this build up but having a little trouble selling it. So as soon as I can move it I'm putting this into motion.

I reload and I have a Vortex Viper pst 6X24X50 I'm putting on it. So will just need to figure out...

Which Action...

Which stock...

Barrel thinking a Bartlien or kreiger..

Probably a BDL until I can afford bottom metal unless I go with a XLR chasis

Trigger will be a Jeweled.

Caliber will be a 7mmSTW I'm thinking anyways. Lol unless someone changes my mind.
Buy your ADL and just call Chris at Benchmark. He'll true the action and install one of his barrels for around 800.00.

Unless you are planning on a switch barrel rig there's no need to pin the lug.

A fluted bolt is a luxury, not a necessity.

You can always upgrade later with a PT&G one piece fluted bolt with their spring and firing pin and all but again, we're talking luxuries here not necessities.

One thing I would encourage you to do though is upgrade the stock sooner rather than later if it's a factory wood stock but even they can be bedded and floated to shoot well. Just be sure and reseal the wood after you do the floating to prevent moisture penetration which can warp the wood.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.