Custom action dilemma... HELP?!

wilkup

Never quite sure of which forum to post in with questions like these...

Currently I'm looking at either a tuned Rem 700 or a clone (Defiance, Stiller, other) or a Sako 85 clone made by Fierce Arms.
I've basically got it narrowed down to these two styles but am hoping to enlist your help in finlizing a choice to build from.

I'm planning on chambering said rifle in one of the wildcats Jfseaman has created in 308 or 338 but haven't ruled out its RUM cousins. I plan to use a fluted Krieger barrel but am also toying with the idea of the new Sendero light from Proof Research. This will be my only big game rifle for the lower 48 and will be getting something more substantial if/when I make the trip up to Alaska in a couple years.

Hoping for some good advice.

Custom Actions

This is a pretty awesome roll up of custom actions. I have only used 3 custom actions. Majority of mine are trued Remington 700's, 1 stiller, and 1 Montana 1999. Stiller was the nicest by far, then the trued up rem 700's, then the Montana. That isn't quantifiable data just my experience rolled up into one sentence. I sold the stiller and the Montana. I am still regretting the stiller....

Good advice at that listed link! After reading I've also added the Bordon Timberline to my list of interested actions.
While poking around on the site I noticed another action I'd never heard of - Razor - and saw they offer a Ti action... interesting =)

Last edited:
You've always got great advice. Thanks!
I like what I saw listed at that link. Any idea what the sticker on that action comes in at...?

TL2 and SR2 Action long or short ……….$1250
Trim Tang option on TL2………………….No Charge (at time of manufacture)
Trim Tang option…………………..……….$100 (if returned for option)
Picatinny Rail……………………..…………$75
Extra Bolt Knob……………………………..$45
Extra Bolt Head……………………………..$125

They are also 1250 on 3rd generation shooting supply. I cant find them anywhere else for sale.

So that Big Horn seems on the expensive side when a Bordon Timberline can be had for less cash...
What's the Big Horn got that's worth the extra pennies...?

Any action you listed will be really nice, I've just never understood buying a custom action that's a clone of a 700. I just choose to true my 700's or buy a badger m2013.

To each their own, those are all really nice actions. But a badger is more durable, it's cloned off the best sniper action the world has ever seen. They are heavier, but not substantially, no matter what you do to them or how dirty they get, the will function flawlessly.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.