Custom 7mm-08 Help?

TXJack

i am having a custom 7mm-08 built and have already ordered a heavy bartlein barrel. What length should I have the barrel cut since I will be putting a can on it?

That all depends on several factors some of which I will likely neglect to mention... ;)

1. What distances will you likely be shooting at and what type of game? (More Length = More Velocity)

2. Have you picked a particular bullet yet and if so what velocity do you expect to shoot it at?

3. Will you be carrying this rifle or will it be shot strictly from a rest or something in between?

4. Are you dealing with weight issues or is that not a problem?

That all depends on several factors some of which I will likely neglect to mention... ;)

1. What distances will you likely be shooting at and what type of game? (More Length = More Velocity)

Game - 300 yards
Steel targets - as far as I can

2. Have you picked a particular bullet yet and if so what velocity do you expect to shoot it at?

No, but it will be 140 grain

3. Will you be carrying this rifle or will it be shot strictly from a rest or something in between?

Strictly deer stand or rest

4. Are you dealing with weight issues or is that not a problem?

No

OK... Enough information... I've heard people say that for a can in a hunting rifle that 16" is enough length and I beg to differ.

IMO you need to go with 20-22" in order to get reasonable hunting velocities out to 300 but some opinions might differ.

If you're serious about distance I'd go with 22-24" with 24" being the preferred length but I've found that 308 based cartridges typically get pretty good velocity from 20" barrels.

You're going to have to determine how long the rifle will be with the can on it and if you're willing to put up with that length and possibly front heavy situation and go from there....

So in summation here's my opinion. If it was for me I'd go with a 20" barrel plus the can and by the way that's my choice for a fat barreled 308 I'll be putting a can on. I don't care about shooting that rifle beyond 600 because I have rifles better suited for that although this rifle is crazy accurate.

Good luck and let us know what you do and whether you feel it was the right choice after getting it all set up and shooting it.

OK... Enough information... I've heard people say that for a can in a hunting rifle that 16" is enough length and I beg to differ.

IMO you need to go with 20-22" in order to get reasonable hunting velocities out to 300 but some opinions might differ.

If you're serious about distance I'd go with 22-24" with 24" being the preferred length but I've found that 308 based cartridges typically get pretty good velocity from 20" barrels.

You're going to have to determine how long the rifle will be with the can on it and if you're willing to put up with that length and possibly front heavy situation and go from there....

So in summation here's my opinion. If it was for me I'd go with a 20" barrel plus the can and by the way that's my choice for a fat barreled 308 I'll be putting a can on. I don't care about shooting that rifle beyond 600 because I have rifles better suited for that although this rifle is crazy accurate.

Good luck and let us know what you do and whether you feel it was the right choice after getting it all set up and shooting it.

Thanks for advice. I already ordered the barrel at 26" but have been thinking for the past month of having 2" or 4" cut off when I get it.

24" is what I am leaning towards but definitely nothing shorter than 22".

I have a fat short barrel .308 and a long fat fluted barrel 300 WM and I prefer the longer barrel. The only time it's a pain in the *** is when I'm driving with it in my Polaris Ranger. Long barrels and Quick shots are not easy.....

I would go with a 1:8 twist barrel regardless of length. And I would go 20-26 or somewhere in-between. 20" from lug to crown makes for a nice compact hunter/LR target gun. I had a custom .308 Win built on a Rem Model 7 action with a heavy barrel cut 20" from lug to crown, and it was an awesome toter in the woods. The short barrel didn't get hung up on limbs and crap. It was easy to get in and our of tree stands and shooting houses. It was easy to tote, and fairly lightweight, but still 1000 yard capable.

I would go with a 1:8 twist barrel regardless of length. And I would go 20-26 or somewhere in-between. 20" from lug to crown makes for a nice compact hunter/LR target gun. I had a custom .308 Win built on a Rem Model 7 action with a heavy barrel cut 20" from lug to crown, and it was an awesome toter in the woods. The short barrel didn't get hung up on limbs and crap. It was easy to get in and our of tree stands and shooting houses. It was easy to tote, and fairly lightweight, but still 1000 yard capable.

Keep in mind I'm adding a can on the end.

I will probably have it cut to 24"

I have a custom 7-08 with a 24" Bartlien and I absolutely love it! I have guns that I've spent more money on but few that can produce equal results. I'm shooting 150r Nosler BT and it will shoot 3-5" groups at 600yds reliably. I have a can that I've used with the same great results but there is a near 2" shift in POI with the can attached. I've found the 24" barrel to be completely manageable with the can attached shooting from a fixed position. We hunt deer from stands or shoot houses and the length has never been an issue.

i am having a custom 7mm-08 built and have already ordered a heavy bartlein barrel. What length should I have the barrel cut since I will be putting a can on it?

The shortest I would cut the barrel would be 18". The 7/08 cartridge does well with short barrels and normal lengths are 18.5 to 24. If you install a can I wouldn't recommend over 22".

You will lose a little velocity, but not much with the short barrel, I have a 7/08 pistol with a 16" barrel and have been 100% successful on deer out past 500 yards. The short heavy barrels are very accurate and forgiving as far as different ammo.

The 308 case was designed around 20"barrels and the 7/08 appears to be very efficient with a 20" barrel also. My bolt action 7/08s have 20", 22" and 23" barrels and I see very little velocity difference between the three.

Back in the 80s I built a 20"barreled 7/08 for 500 meter running boar competition and the short heavy barrel was perfect for running targets, My favorite 7/08 for deer has a 22" barrel and velocity is over 2800 ft/sec with a 140 grain bullet and 3150 ft/sec with a 120 grain bullet.

So cut it to the most portable length with the can installed and enjoy this great cartridge. PS: the 7/08 AI can add 50 to 100 ft/sec to the velocity in the short barrel so that might be a consideration.

Just my opinion and experience with this cartridge

J E CUSTOM

I just had a new 7mm-08 barrel put on a tikka. I went with a #5 contour 26". Getting just over 3000fps with 139gr sst's. With hornady american white tail I am seeing 2980fps the box speed says 2840fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.